• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nurse Cow

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nurse Cow

Going to try a Holstein nurse cow for a couple orphan beef calves. Any tips for grafting, feeding the cow, and a price range I would be looking at. Thanks

Holstein cows don't come cheap. A Jersey would do the job though, if you could find one. If it's been a milk cow it shouldn't be hard to get her to accept a calf or two, but it's still work. We just do milk replacer if we get a spare calf. They do fine.

Comment

Purchased a Holstein and she has lots of milk but doesn't seem to know what a calf is. lol She is a kicker so going to hobble her. Hate to do it as she is quiet but kicks as soon as calf tries to suck and she is going to hurt it. You are right, it is a lot of work!

Comment

I know someone that used to "train" their cows to raise multiple orphan calves by starting her off with 4 big calves - maybe 400lb calves. After a day or two of having them suckle he said that they accepted small calves with no complaint.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...
        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.