• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nexera canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nexera canola

Anyone like growing that? Premium price is tantalizing

Last time I grew it... the delivery was for November. The elevator wanted the inputs paid and I said fine let me haul my nexera. You can't. Haul some wheat.

My answer was **** off ...the input bill is for the next seed and so is the delivery window I chose.

Ended up hauling nexera but never grew it again. That's at least a 7 years ago.

Comment

Oh and when I hauled it ...regular canola was worth more even with the premiums.

Comment

we grow 1012 every year for bunge, yields same as invigor. get a buck a bushel more for it , and its not much later now . bunge is excellent to work with . 1020 yields better but limited supply so far . we grew for richardson couple years back , premium wasn't much , but they did come around near the end of crop year and we did ok

Comment

1012 stands real good as well for us

Comment

Grew it once and yielded almost 10 bpa less than invigor. Neighbor grows it now and always seems to be 5-10 back of the invigors as well. Not sure whether or not price premium makes up for it or not anymore. Im sure varieties have improved but when we grew it, it was night and day for drought and heat tolerance compared to invigor

Comment

Smoke and Mirrors

Comment

Grew it 7-8 years ago. A lot of hype about how good it was and easy to move. Was a joke to get rid of and the premium was no hell. Never grow it again.

Comment

Been growing both for quite a few years. Financially the nexera has an advantage overall. Not every year but if you average it out.
                  If your gonna grow roundup ready it might as well be nexera is how we look at it. Get the premium. Movement hasn't been a problem since the Yorkton crush plants were build. In fact the last two years we emptied out of nexera well ahead of time on our contracts.
                  Plan to grow both again this coming year.

Comment

Pros
                    Price premium
                    No trucking bill
                    New varieties are comparable to top RR varieties
                    15 bpa act of God
                    Based on the obesity/type 2 diabetes epidemic, Nexera canola oil is a growing market.

Cons
                    Slightly lower yield than some RR varieties according to trials
                    Dow's Nexera seed is more expensive than a DeKalb/Pioneer RR variety.
                    Have to keep it segregated from commodity canola
                    Delivery is spread throughout the year or longer, especially if you have a yield over 35 bpa so will be forced to keep your bins filled longer and monitor it.

Note- Don't ever deal with Viterra or a grain company who doesn't have a crusher near.

Comment

Learning my nexerra lesson right now. Never again deal with viterra on this stuff. Caught it heating waiting to fill my feb contract in April. I'd gladly sold it off the combine to adm for $10.25 as regular as opposed to waiting for it to go up in smoke. What a joke! ADM here is guaranteeing off combine movement with aog. Person would have to be simple to contract nexerra through a line company with far away crush plants.

#viterra nexerra=cluster****

Comment

Been growing since 2012. In 2012 canola yields here were horrible due due Astor Yellows. Guys had yields in the high teens. The Nexerra wasn't as bad and yielded high 20s low 30s. I have always felt since then it is nice to diversify over a few different varieties and types of canola. I would say most years it is close to a wash with higher seed costs and slightly lower yields eating much of the premium. But still something I grow every year.

Comment

"I would say most years it is close to a wash with higher seed costs and slightly lower yields eating much of the premium...."

If this Nexera canola is all about the specialty oil and premium, and with the above quote and the segregation, etc. Why grow if for them if it is simply a wash over conventional canola over the long haul?

I wonder if they get more for the oil than tradional canola oil....****ers!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...