• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are farmers like this?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are farmers like this?

Why is it when an oil company comes a long and wants to drill, suddenly that farm land becomes about as sacred as Grandmas graveyard? Garbage land that couldn't support a goat suddenly becomes the best land in Alberta, in that farmers eyes! And the oil company is paying $15,000 up front and $3,000/yr. rent! Now that farmer never made $30/acre a year on this land but suddenly $1000/acre/yr. isn't good enough? I've seen deals go all to pieces over thinking like this!
    I actually talked to one farmer who was complaining bitterly to the landman that he was concerned about weeds...and the place was solid tansy and thistle!!!
    Why are farmers like this? Anyone who comes knocking on my door with $15,000 for me is most welcome!!

For me personally, cowman, it is not about the money at all. We had someone come to drill a gas well a number of years ago and we wouldn't let them on and I still wouldn't to this day. I don't want the intrusion, the disruption or the bother.

We try to take care of our land and I want to preserve what is here. We are just borrowing what is here and we need to think about what we are leaving future generations. We use one non-renewable resource to bring up another non-renewable resource and in my opinion we have to start taking a long hard look at what we are doing. It is in no way sustainable.

I realize that this province got "rich" off of the oil, but that too one day will be gone and then what do we do?

Reclamation is one answer, but the statistics on what is actually reclaimed versus what is damaged are astounding and while the reclamation orders are given, it is my understanding that they are not too heavily enforced.

A study came out the other day that said that there is only 17% of Alberta's forests that have not been touched. What are we doing to save them?

Comment

Now Linda, I was not talking about pumping water into the formation to bring up the gas! I do not agree with that at all! That is A real dumb idea that really should not be allowed!
      Right now oil makes the world go around...I don't need to tell you that, you live in Alberta! You know what kind of money it puts into the pockets of your local, provincial and federal government. That builds the infrastructure and actual wealth of Alberta. The people making big bucks in the patch that filters down to every Albertan! You must know that?

Comment

Yes, cowman, I do know that oil is what makes Alberta go round. I know that it has been the basis for many sound and equally unsound decisions. I know that political platforms have been won and lost based on that oil.

I have also seen that historically, it was agriculture and not oil that built this province. If Leduc #1 had not come in, where would we be? I remember my father-in-law telling me how dismal it was in the oil patch prior to that discovery. There wasn't a lot of money to be made.

What I am concerned with is that we are overlooking the harm that we are doing for the sake of getting that oil and gas and selling it. What happens when it runs out? The supply is not inexhaustible.

Look at how terrible things get when the price of oil drops. It wasn't all that long ago that it was trading for $11/barrel. How quickly we forget when things are good.

Maybe I should be like everyone else and take the money, but there is just something in me that doesn't agree with it. Am I foolish? I don't think so because I'm not motivated by money. The intrinsic things in life are far more important to me.
        I suppose I'm trying to look beyond my own quarter to the bigger picture.

Comment

My neighbour was telling me last winter about how much money that he received for grid seismic activity on his land.
          This year he was bitching about patches of a NEW weed that showed up. I don't blame land owners who want all that they can get. Exploration and development vehicles are notorious for spreading weed seeds with their equipment. If you have to spend a fortune eliminating weeds, you should ask for and receive adequate compensation for the immediate AND longterm effects of oil or natural gas exploration and development.

Comment

Linda: In a way you are right about the days of oil just about being over. Not because we will run out but because we will have other better sources of energy. We have no worries for the next 50 yrs. or so and quite frankly you and I won't have to worry about it. And if they really want any oil or gas you have under your land they will get it.
            This summer I was talking to a farmer in your general area who had a methane well on his place! Claimed he got $20,000 for the lease and they were going to drill 7 more on the same quarter. $3000/well yearly rent! He was about as happy as a lark! Said"To hell with mad cow bring on the wells!" Methane wells are usually long term wells and he was in his fifties. Figured it was time to start living the good life!
            wilagro: Your friend should of had a clause in his seismic agreement about weeds. If he had declined to let the seismic company on they would have simply bypassed him and the weeds would have been up to his fence anyway. Most oil companies are pretty prompt about taking care of problems like weeds, IF you let them know you are not happy.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...