• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

farmers markets

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

farmers markets

Just wondered what percentage of your produce do you end up taking home? I see a lot of produce still around late in the market. Is this just a loss. Kind of changes the economics of the whole thing if you have to toss half of it?

Hi Cowman

I just saw this today and thought I would respond.

We are set up to maintain thingsover a few days or weeks depending on product. Somethings do only go to market once and have to be thrown away or could possibly go to food bank.

Prices need to be representative of the perishabilty of the product and one needs to go to more than one market a week to make a go of it.

Comment

Alot of farmers that I've worked with and learnt from will study their markets to know how much will they sell at farmers markets, how much they sell at farm stands and other avenues such as retail, wholesale, co-ops, and CSA baskets. Once you know these amounts then you decide how much to grow. Nothings a loss though, employees are happy to take home these fruits and vegetables in exchange for less salary, as well as food banks as rodb was saying. But, if you really want to make a profit of every last thing you grow and don't want to eat it all, you can always hire a helping hand to transform the vegetables for frozen conservatives and jams for the winter time.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...
      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.