• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pipelines

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pipelines

I saw a ranch property that is for sale in eastern Alberta that had some interesting disclosures. Four of the quarters had a total of 6 pipeline breaks between them. I'm assuming these would be breaks in small diameter gas pipes serving wells on the property versus large diameter cross-country pipelines. Some had the surface reclaimed, some it was in progress and some wasn't started on yet. One was abandoned with compensation being paid. Makes me wonder how widespread this is, if it is a sign of things to come as these pipes age? The price on the listing didn't seem to indicate this being a big drawback but there is no way I'd be interested in taking over land with these kind of problems.

I would think those pipeline ruptures to be old flowlines giving out. The pipe used years ago corroded bad from h2s and sand in the oil. Pipeline tech has come leaps and bounds from the 1960's. Even abandonments are a lot more thorough than even 20 years ago. I am all for oil because it's helped us out immensely and keeps the young guys around. Pipelines are a pain in the ass and a liability the landowner must deal with long after the oil company has packed up and left. That's what pisses me off. All the flowlines were "abandoned " here years ago but they never flushed them before capping. One particular instance they were fixing a road and pulled up an abandoned line and 2 abandoned wells started to seep oil to the surfaced. It has since been properly flushed and abandoned properly. I really not concerned about pure oil as much as I am about brackish water. Was talk about them wanting to flow saltwater off the wells to the disposal and although the new pipelines are considerably safer we and other neighbours weren't for it and it never come to be. Oil spills don't bugger land like saltwater. But it's just the idea of another pipeline there you have to deal with if you want to dig or even dig a rock or a post.

Comment

And we are frustrated when some people are against pipelines....until they are in our back yards.....

Comment

take a ground disturbance course, and you will really not like them. - Lots of limitations for the farmer.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...
        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.