• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets move to Manitoba

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets move to Manitoba

To date, Manitoba's short-term action plan on BSE includes:
    · a $100 million, low interest recovery loan program to assist cattle producers facing cash flow challenges; · a re-allocation of the existing $15 million BSE recovery program to a feed program to assist producers in meeting feed challenges; · a $2 million Made-In-Manitoba Beef Fund to promote the expansion of the province's beef slaughtering capacity; · regular meetings between Manitoba cattle producers and Manitoba Agriculture and Food to ensure that strong lines of communication are maintained between the government and the industry; · requests that the federal government meet Manitoba's $117 million funding commitment based on existing cost-sharing arrangements; · active work with other provinces, industry groups and the federal government to reopen international borders and promote the safety and quality of Manitoba and Canadian beef.

Wowchuk noted that the federal government has remained noticeably absent in its support to Manitoba producers including an unwillingness to jointly participate in Manitoba's BSE Feeder Program, slaughter incentive and loan program, worth approximately $117 million. Additionally, the federal government has ignored concerns that Manitoba producers are not being treated equitably under the federal-provincial BSE Recovery Program.

I live in Manitoba, and haven't seen a cent yet.

We are going in to MACC to investigate the low interest loans this week. I don't know anyone who has one, yet, but some who have checked it out say it's not that easy to apply for. The loan will pay for feed, and current bills, but won't make loan payments or interest payments.

Actually, they don't just give you the money, you bring them the bills, and they pay them for you. This may be to keep the banks out of the picture, but I can only imagine how happy the bank is when you walk in and tell them that MACC wants security on the same items that the bank has for operating loans. Apparently after a year, if you haven't paid the loan, you have to sign over land in order to extend it. This means lawyers. Some have had to sign over land already to get the loan in the first place. That is so sad.

As for the feed assistance, we applied, but haven't seen a cheque. The money apparently ran out last week, and I think they may have extended it, but they have been quite vague about the details. We still don't know if we will ever see it. The slaughter compensation? I don't know, I've heard rumours that it's still going, but then again they are just rumours so far. It's all very confusing.

I will let you know how it works out.

Comment

Now I could be wrong but I don't think Alberta has put anything out for the cow/calf end of the business? No interest free loans here, or at least I've never heard of them. Lots of money for feedlot alley though!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...