• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antibiotics in Feed

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antibiotics in Feed

We have just recently started using Rumensin in our minerals for our beef cows. In the past Coccidiosis has been an ongoing problem and we are hoping this helps solve the problem. I have a few questions about this product though. I assume Rumensin comes under the category of low level antibiotic feeding that seems to be a swear word in the consumer eyes. How do you feel about this product and how would you suggest I reassure anyone who questions this practice. Also does Rumensin have a withdrawal time on it. If not, does this mean traces of antibiotics would show up when the animal is slaughtered.

Hi Boer, in answer to your question my suggestion would be to contact Dr John Merrill who is the Senior Research Rep for Elanco Animal Health. John does lots of field work and I have found him to be a down to earth kind of guy. He would be able to explain the Rumensin label with regards to withdrawls and consumer concerns. John is in Calgary and can be reached at 403-253-9056.

Comment

We have also had a problem with coccidiosis in our herd. Over the years we have come to the opinion that Rumensin is very overrated as a coccidiostat. It is more of a suppression than a cure. If the problem is severe, then Amprol or Deccox would be a better bet. We used to have problems with feeders in the fall. The best treatment we found was to treat their drinking water with Amprol. It actually kills the coccidia. We had our water supply cleaned up, and the problems stopped. Now we only have a problem with very young calves in the spring, when it melts and they insist on drinking from puddles. We solved this by creep feeding a rolled oat ration that has Amprol added. They don't eat much, but it makes all the difference in the world. Give your vet a call..he or she can probably help.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...
      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.