• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My great chicken venture

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My great chicken venture

Last spring, in a weak moment, I bought a whole bunch of baby chicks. Which was okay until they grew up and started cranking out the eggs. All my family and neighbors and any travelling salesmen were well supplied and still the darn things kept cranking out the eggs! The dogs and cats got so sick of eating eggs they started to grow feathers!
    Anyway I was a very good little poultryman feeding them nothing but the best and keeping them fenced in and locked up at night. Then I got real sick so I had to turn the chicken ranching over to my son.
    He was not impressed! Muttered a lot about senility and such! Anyway he was a very hit and miss chicken man and tended to leave them out over night. I guess the word got around and soon we had every coyote in the country coming over for dinner. Soon the chickens were all gone and I guess that sure solved the egg problem!
    The other day there was a coyote in the yard looking in the chicken house. He looked over at me and from the expression on his face it was almost like he was saying "Hey isn't it about time you filled up this chicken house again?" I got quite a good laugh out of that!
    When I suggested to my son that I might get some more chickens next spring he started talking about retirement homes etc. so I just sort of let it go. I guess my chicken days are done!

Thanks Cowman, I was wondering how your chicken episode had gone and now I know.
    Got a half inch of rain this afternoon, that makes a total of 1.1 inches since Monday.(a quarter of what we got since the 1st of June.

Comment

Rod - at least you've gotten that much. We've likely only gotten about 3/4 inch in that time although it has rained off and on today.

Cowman, as far as the chickens go, we have had every fox within a 10 mile radius checking out the eggs and the chickens. I had about 10 laying girls in one pen and I was down to one because of the fox. Left those roosters alone no problem, just ate most of the girls.

I went out and bought 10 more of them amidst the muttering of why I want to keep feeding the fox chicken dinner all the time.

I like having them around and will try to persevere in keeping the fox out of the henhouse.

Comment

Yea Linda I kind of liked having them around too. I liked watching them scratching around and eating the bugs. They always seemed so happy to see me in the morning!
        They sure never made me any money but they gave me a lot of satisfaction and I liked eating the eggs! Well I like coyotes too although I'm a firm believer that they should be out doing there job of catching mice and gophers instead of my chickens and cats!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...