• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Agricultures future?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agricultures future?

What do you see as the future of agriculture on the prairies? Consider that it is unlikely our government is going to support the grain industry and that the Americans will do everything in their power to keep our products out.
    I see some serious opportunities for increases in things like greenhouses, market gardens, organic products etc. but no opportunities for export grain, beef, pork etc. In fact just about any export! Transportation costs will pretty well kill us if the Americans don't!
    What would happen if our government decided maybe they should protect our domestic markets for fruits, veggies, meat etc. and forget about trying to deal with a world where we can't compete? Maybe go the route of safety issues to keep out the imports. You know have such high standards that the Americans would find it too much of a nuisance to send up tomatoes and lettuce from California!
    When I see what some farmers have done in the way of growing vegetables I wonder why Safeway mostly has imported vegetables? Whenever I get the chance I buy produce from Alberta! If it costs a bit more I don't care...at least I know its probably fresh and healthy!

Thanks for the support Cowman. You are one of the many that are supporting a viable but seasonal business in Alberta. The consumer is supporting more and more Farmers markets and u-pick operations. There is no reason that we could not turn the flow of vegetables around and have them flow south during our growing season other than the US's tolerance and desire for "Free Trade".

Rod

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...