• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

COOL

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COOL

Finally. Good riddance. A big thanks to those who worked so hard to get it gone.

I suppose we'll have to wait until markets get going in January to see if it helps prices. It sure can't hurt.

I hope it's good news but it didn't help bred heifers on Team and Soderglen sales today.

Comment

Doesn't mean anything. Our crap dollar is the only thing saving us from 2010 prices south of the border. 8-weight steers are closer to the dollar mark down there, than the $2 mark like up here.

Comment

I agree with you 15444. its nice to see COOL gone but its a bit of a hollow victory as a lot of damage has been done and your assessment of the very weak C$ as the main instrument keeping us from disaster is bang on. I believe you are from Ontario. if that is correct do you know what finished cattle are bringing there currently?

Comment

Was soderglen a wreck? Please elaborate.

Comment

BFW - 1.55-1.60 catches the majority

Comment

Team sold 50 out off 189 bred heifers, S, G, sold 40 out 120 commercial heifers.

Comment

WiltonRanch, they sold between $2550 and $2700. Rest were unsold at $2525 to $2575. Maybe its time to re-evaluate expectations? Would still be an excellent price for an 18 month old heifer with my production costs. Surely a better buy than the prices SADIE was quoting though.

Comment

Those prices Sadie was reporting were insane,do people live in a bubble and not watch what's going on in the real world?Guess those bse years never taught some people much,best of luck trying to pay for those $4000 heifers going to be a rough ride!

Comment

I wouldn't call $2200 to $2700 a wreck. Just sayin.

Comment

Exactly. That isn't still too bad. Maybe compared to other sales. Feed situation is starting to become apparent and American prices are creeping up here. If this winter turns normal I don't want any more mouths to feed.

Comment

So, what did we learn from this? While our cost was years of multi billion $ losses to beef/pork producers, the Canadian processor/retailer/consumer benefited from our depressed prices as our politicians did as little as possible and ensured Canada's cheap food policy stayed in place. After all countervail action is actually a tax on the consumer to offset trade action and support the affected industry. So, 7 years of trade restriction and the US cost is $0.00, the Canadian consumer benefitted and we are happy our politicians really stepped up for us. Ha! Next time, after the first WTO ruling against the US our wonderful politicians should step up and slap on serious countervail, protectionist and punitive duties and let the Americans waste 7 years and millions of $ on appeal-repeal actions. At the 11th hour we say oops, sorry. This has been NO deterrent to future actions in any sector. The Americans know we play nice and within the rules. Rules which they are more than willing to bend again and again. Meanwhile as an industry we have to drive home the point to our elected representatives that we hold them responsible for their inaction and we demand better, much better!

Comment

the above thread is regarding COOL...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...