• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yellow Peas

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yellow Peas

See local price quote of $9.27 for Aug-Sept delivery. Hard red spring wheat just over $6.00.
    From experienced pea growers, how does this pencil out?

done some for $9.35 a few days ago with richardson before it dropped . done some today for $9 with AOG on 15 bpa . max . peas are risky around here so sure appreciate the AOG clause . hrsw costs us over $275/ac . peas cost us $85 /ac . hrsw yielded 55 peas a touch better . but lotsa years peas give us SFA if we're wet

Comment

lotsa people around here prepriced peas for sept 2016 , now fining out they can't get seed !

Comment

$9.50 new crop here, haven't signed any yet, getting tempting though. Seed is a HUGE issue!! Luckily I some cert Meadows last wk for $13.50 bu, real steal considering where the market is today. Might throw a target for $10 see if they will bite.

Comment

I just received information on a Marrowfat pea production contract for $12.50/bushel. Seed is supplied (at a cost) and they take ALL the production at the contracted price.

Interesting contract, but i know SFA about Marrowfats. It kinda sounds like they are similar to green peas, but grade standards aren't as strict for bleached.

Comment

The way I understand it is they must be swathed, can not be desicated and straight cut.

Comment

Cole,

12.50 is what grade?

Swathed means please no rain till harvested... bleach brought big discounts...

blowing swaths... Have really good air bins so you can steal them tough... and air them down.

did it for years.

70 percent of yellow yields usually... best if on virgin land or 4 years out of peas if possible.

then when do they buyers take delivery... spring... summer...

Comment

Pencils out by 30$ for seed, 25$ nutrients, 15$ for weeds 20$ for fungy. Gross 50 bushel is 450$. Net is 360$ an acre.

Seems to pencil ok.

Comment

I wouldn't touch marrowfats for under $15. They yield 10-20% less and lay flat on the ground.

Comment

Tweety. "Pencils out by 30$ for seed, 25$ nutrients, 15$ for weeds 20$ for fungy"

Seed here is $16/bu untreated. and what can you spray for $15/ac?

I figured $48 seed, $35 nutrients (innoculant, dry starter and foliar with chem), $35 chem (includes burnoff, in crop, and desication) and 20 fungicide. Looks like your numbers are pretty frugal compared to mine. I havent grown peas before so I may be overdoing it? Thanks

Comment

Is there any seed available in eastern Saskatchewan?

We haven't grown peas in years but with $9.50 new crop contracts availble for August/September it's getting tempting.

Comment

Ronski,

Your numbers seem more in line. At $9.50/bu I wouldn't be fooling around with skimping inputs.

Comment

Seed 45
                          Inoculant 12
                          Fert 27
                          Treatment 7

Preseed total 91

President emerge 12
                          In crop grassy 6
                          In crop broadleaf 18
                          In crop foliar 8
                          In crop fungicide 32

In crop total 74

Preharvest 12

Total variable 170.

9.50 x 40 is 380 minus 170 is 210.

First you don't grow 60 bu every year and inexperienced grows definitely won't.

Second you don't contract your whole crop so what's the rest gonna be worth?

Be realistic guys

Comment

Tom the Marrowfat price is for #1 Grade: <20% Bleach, <1% Stain/Damage and <7.5% Cracks

Grade #2 has a $1.00/bus. discount

Comment

Cole,

All the best... try some of both... so you don't have so much at risk. 30bu was a long term average... and dryer years give better quality... steal them like malt barley.

Merry Christmas!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.