• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tone is set for very strong Bred Heifer sales into December

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tone is set for very strong Bred Heifer sales into December

If anyone is interested look up the sale results for the Open and Bred Heifer sales from Saturday CWA in Regina.

WOW--- I saw it. Top Pen of 5 reached

Westmans had a very good sale. There Grand Champion Pen of 10 4500.

Top Westman Pen of 5 4700.00 This should really set up the Dec Sales in l your area around Vermillion Sean.

Want to review the exact sale results to post anymore on here.

Missed seeing you there, but I thought the sale on breds was strong as well. I thought the open heifers were a bit light on price for the event.

Comment

Sean---I would of loved to touch base with you Sean. Been going to this sale for about 15 years in a row now and saw how things have changed. The whole sale revolved around what happens with two or three pens of cattle As you likely know.

The Open Heifer Pen sure started out soft I will agree. That F1 pen late in the sale again springboarded the Breds into the new level.

I came down with an empty trailer and left home with an empty trailer. I will be picking up off the farm this week my order of Breds.

Makes my inventory at home value increase. It is nice having a young cow herd and replacement open heifers going into 2016.

Comment

All sounds rather fake and "purebredy" to me Sadie. Having some kind of show or sale of commercial cattle where the whole trade revolves around what the "champion" pens make then ranchers go home and readjust the valuation of their herd at home based on that. Maybe a fun day out but not real as far as I can see.

Comment

Why argue with you grassfarmer.

Maybe Sean can explain to you why this commercial penshowing is set up. It is a way the commercial ranchers can show a sample of their product and then have more off the farm to sell.

Cheers.

Comment

Have no problem with these commercial heifer show and sale. Anyone with a shred of common sense knows the quality is good and prices will be inflated. Especially before the new year when guys have tax problems. No different than the pisscutter at a bull sale goes crazy because it's auction sale mentality. It may set a tone but it's how it goes down at the auction barns and private sales that really matters. If a guy is only buying a handful of replacements every year and keeping most of their own it pays to buy the highest quality as they build your nucleus. If you buy all your replacements then the cost is more crucial. We've bought lots over the years both high and low quality. Aside from the odd diamond in the rough the low quality disappeared and the better quality stays and produces more cows.

Comment

Sean you were present ringside and I have time tonight. This might help explain to grassfarmer what might happen at a commercial pen of 5 or pen of 10 show and then sale.

Sean I downloaded the sale results from CWA commercial cattle sale 2015.

The 2015 sale definately was not set up to help the open replacement heifers. It definitely was set up to set the tone for the breds.

The champion pen of open heifers were light weights, but uniform like a lot of the pens are at these events.

Someone has to go first, no consigner wants to go first in the sale order.

At the 2015 sale the key pen was the F1 Dark red sim X R Angus that brought $2900.00 each. They were the last pen to sell of the open heifers and just before the Champion Pen of 10 breds.

That pen ended up 4th in its class but sold $1000.00 more than the Champion and reserve open heifer pens.

FYI in 2014 that same pen of 5 Sim X Red Angus was the Grand Champion Pen which led off the sale of opens in 2014. That sold for $2500.00 each in 2014.

I know because I am a bidder on those cattle. There are just so many on offer that are home raised from that producer.

Sean you were there ringside and saw the bred pens go down.

The Grand Pen of 10 and the Reserve Pen of 5 sold $4500 and $4200 respectfully.
              Then many sold in that $2700 $2900.
              Late in the sale came the Bred pen of 5 Sim X REd angus and that sparked the sale of the pens that reached $4800, and $5000 respectfully. Those high priced pens did not place up in their class. They came from well known contributors and the same buyer bought the $5000.00 pen as in previous years.

CWA did a good job of setting up the sale order to bring up the Bred Sale average to $3400.00.

Comment

Just sounds like the usual show ring shenanigans of the purebred circus. How could there be a value range of $2700 to $5000 in commercial heifers that were all worthy of showing? Better not ask the judge I guess he got it "wrong".

I see bred cow sales reported at Ponoka and Westlock (all in the "older cow" category which usually means they weren't 1st or 2nd calvers) ranging from $1200-$1800 and $1300-$1700 respectively. Tells a different story to your inflated show prices.

So what are your older cows at home worth Sadie?

Comment

Y-coulée sale is coming up in a few days at vermillion. There'll be some nice heifers there. Neighbour bought quite a few from them privately over the years and it's a damn fine string of cows today.

Comment

Thankyou for your input WIlton ranch.
                    T Coulee, Little Willow, New Genes sales are all great quality coming up this week at Vermillion.

That is exactly what I believe we have done buying from this central Saskatchewan Seed Stock producer for the last 15 years.

Today we are very proud of our string of cows at our ranch also. Uniformity,great consistent calving with extra punch in those steer calves right from the first calf. The heifers also has some extra value now in the breeding game as well.

Grassfarmer. I will pull out my last summer cull cow sale tickets on these animals I purchased. They sold for $2300 to $2450.00 as cull cows but produced about 10 good calves over the years as well.

I have older experienced cows to sell now in our herd. Some are in pup but now is not the time to put them on the market. Lots of milling oats on hand and keep feeding them into Jan and then hopefully D1s will be up in price then.

Comment

Cull cows have been at historic highs, simmy crosses make big cows and the occasional one might raise 10 calves (most are burnt out by 8 though). Most ranchers are pretty proud of their herds.

Still doesn't explain the reason that of two pens of heifers at a show and sale one can make $2700 and one $5000. How can one pen be worth nearly twice as much money in the commercial cattle business assuming the lower priced weren't complete garbage? I'd assume they weren't or they wouldn't have been there.

Comment

Genetics in those animals. Also reputation of those consigners that topped the sale.

The bottom end group calves will be 1/2 the size and growth potential of the top group end.

Also some consigners at the top end have more at home to purchase from. By buying their pens at this sale gives you the right to come to the Ranch.

There is only so many good ones produced each year.

Sean help me out here with Grassy. It is a tough school here.

Comment

Don't worry Sadie, a slow-learning class may say more about the student than the teacher. Just sayin'

Comment

Simmental cows burnt out by 8? What kind of junk simmies have spoiled your taste buds? These herds are top notch outfits. I know all the aforementioned outfits very well, run cattle right beside and with them. In fact have a number of Simmental cross cows from them running with r and s tags with no burnout. To start making generalizations about a particular breed is pushing it. Think you should rag on breeders raising garbage and selling for inflated prices. Every breed has crap. Try and find a black angus with good feet that don't go to hell after a couple years. Find a Hereford that don't prolapse. Or find a simmie with a good bag. These are the stereotypical problems associated with these breeds but it doesn't mean they're all like that. These herds have some damn good genetics that last.

Comment

Because 2 people wanted them....
                              Only bought from auction mart once...and when you take them back, they seem to know them by name ;-)

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...