• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PID Book?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PID Book?

While the traceability minions have been pretty quiet lately, there is no doubt that they are still at work. They have the my local auction market imploring us to include our premise ID in livestock manifests. I haven't done it lately and it doesn't seem to make any difference to LIS.

My question is does the CCIA or the provincial governments plan to publish a PID list so people who are shipping cattle can look up the appropriate code? And if not how do they expect us to provide information that we have no access to? Maybe our provincial cattle organization reps should pose this question at their winter meetings. If it is, as I suspect, secret information then I can't see it being of any use whatever for traceability.

Saskatchewan -----Very very happy not to support PID. I am not alone many neighbors around have dug in. Will not support another push from Provincal or Federal govs or cattle associations on any more of their programs.

Comment

Sorry just woke up and crawled from under my big rock. What is this PID thing. Picked up new manifest book and noticed a spot for premise ID. Is that it? Shipped calves to Kelvington the other day no questioned me.

Comment

Vet clinics and farm supply stores are requiring a PID to purchase medications. No PID, no purchase - that's what I have been told.

Comment

Vet clinics and farm supply stores now require PIDs to purchase medications. No PID, no purchase - that is what I have been told.

Comment

little doggie--are you in Alberta.

My vet collegues in Saskatchewan that I are just laughing at that one.

There are Veterinarians in practice that are resisting this PUSH through the vet channels as well.

Comment

Allis

This PID thing Premise ID is not manadatory in Saskatchewan as yet. Got voted against Mandatory PID registration a couple of times THANK GOODNESS.

Last June or so our Sask Minister of Ag Mr. Stewart made a big radio announcement about PID and encouraging all livestock producers to hurry up and register.

Like I said earlier on this post. There are more and more grass roots producers that are digging in and resisting anything present, past and new that is coming forward about traceablity BULLSHIT gong show.

Comment

I hadn't heard of no vet supplies without a PID until last night. Bought some a week ago and it wasn't mentioned. Did have to get a prescription tho.

Me thinks its another bluff to coerce compliance with more red tape to justify jobs in an office.

Comment

PID's are required in Alberta. If you don't like the program, my retailer told me, too bad. They aren't excited about loosing their permits to sell AH products because of warnings from the Inspectors.

Comment

PID's are required in Alberta. If you don't like the program, my retailer told me, too bad. They aren't excited about loosing their permits to sell AH products because of warnings from the Inspectors.

Comment

Comment

Does saying it over and over make it right? I guess we will see. I can only imagine what kind of gibberish will be presented as a PID when somebody is just trying to get some drugs to keep their cattle from dying.

The original purpose of this thread was to make the case that if everyone's PID isn't public the program will do no good. If it IS public then the retailers can look it up and fill it in themselves.

Comment

Bring you guys in Alberta back up to date on the veterinary scene.

Running a private veterinary practice there is NO government agency or inspector that can come in a dictate your operation.

A few Inspectors have been tossed out of a few clinics as well.

The reality is this:

What stage and age is your veterinarian in. If they are late in their careers and a have a few years left some will tell inspectors and traceablity to take a hike.

Newer, younger vets often think of a career change and that means Industry, Government (CFIA) or university. One has to be careful in those stages not to get too spirited or vocal on what you agree upon. IN those stages one cannot even voice publically their own opinion.

Happytrails---Veterinary prescription on certain controlled drugs or schedule drugs is a totally separate situation.

That is provincial association laws and they appear to be tightening around the practitionors in the field.

A veterinary prescription helps enforce a veterinary clinent relationship with you the client.

Comment

Our veterinarian has a veterinary/client relationship with us and has not requested our PID for any products. Our farm supply store has requested it. Actually I needed it to buy a bottle of Dettol, and yet I can buy the same thing in Walmart with no PID. I am not 100% sure if PID is the easiest way to track locations. To be honest I have a new address sign too, but still use my land location as my only point of reference.

Comment

It's a bit like the blue address signs that are emergency locators - to minimize time spent locating in case of an emergency. The PID is a unique number to allow Government to deal with a disease outbreak eg foot and mouth.
                              From the British experience it is something that they probably wish they had back in 2001. Do you know that some farms had their stock culled in the UK because someone in an office reversed their latitude and longitude coordinates? Happened on more than one occasion. From that experience it's easy to see how Governments can learn a lesson and put a program in place so that that couldn't happen here.

Don't kid yourself if something big scale occurred here it's the Government and CFIA running the show not the ABP, CCA, local vets or LIS. Government and CFIA have access to the PIDs, the rest of us probably don't due to FOIP.

Everyone is quick to criticize the CDN Government for "allowing BSE into Canada" and want compensation but when they try to introduce proactive programs to reduce risk they are the villains for that too.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.