• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old grain in barn???

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old grain in barn???

I am cleaning out the barn, and there is old oats in a 400 bushel bin in the hayloft from 30 years ago. It is very dusty, but has been dry all this time. is it of any value for feeding to a few hogs, or is it a toss in the bush kind of thing?

The oats flows more or less normally, but is heavy with a kind of white dust from age. I would call it musty, NOT moldy.

What do ya say??

Perhaps could mix in at about 10-20%...
    could always have it tested.

Comment

Could still be good for your sheep? Probably best to test it though.

Comment

Oats aren't great feed for sheep at the best of times. I mainly just use them for "bait" myself. A feed test would be a good idea just in case there is a mould problem.

Comment

What'dya mean kato - oats are the best of feeds for sheep, at least they were in Scotland. What grain do you feed them instead?

Comment

I do not feed sheep oats, they are a poorer feed to begin with like kato said, at least that is what the specs and feed sites all say. We use mainly barley for our sheep.

My buddy with pigs is taking the oats home right now.

Another reason I did not want to use them, is they are full of wild oats, and I do not want to mess up what is a fairly clean farm that way.

My buddy is very happy to take them off my hands, and I am very glad to have an outlet for them.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Good solution.

Comment

Maybe a "poorer" feed in terms of energy per pound but have always reckoned it's a healthier grain. Barley is too hot in my opinion and the only thing I'd use it on is terminal fattening stock.

Comment

I agree oats is not a "bad" feed, and it all depends on what animal type and what type of hay etc. you are using for feed, along with availability. Being a relatively new sheep guy, I have relied on meetings and research online etc. for my preliminary information about feeds. I have yet to hear a single one say oats for sheep is best, but they all say barley. Not saying you are wrong, just saying what I see when I do my research...

Comment

Use oats to feed our purebred bulls...believe to be better on their system, get good gains and don't get the meltdown when on pasture...although I hoping that has more to do with the breeding.
                    Yeah, I know Grassy, should be using just grass, but land is too expensive around here....;-)

Comment

With the extra fibre they break down slower in the gut, you don't get the starch "burn" or the acidosis which is so tough on the organs.

Taking it a bit far though when the mainstream bull sellers all started feeding "high forage" rations comprising 80% oats versus 80% barley. It's still a grain.

Comment

In answer to what I feed my sheep... Besides pasture, They get the best hay we have. We especially do a second cut from a brome/alfalfa field for them. To flush before breeding I give them some of those lick tubs and put the ram right next door. Last year was over 200% lambing, so that seems to work ok. However, I do keep some oats on hand for when I want to move them or whatever. They will mow you down for those oats. Other than bait, I don't give the ewes any grain to speak of.

The lambs get a feed mix that is oats, barley, and corn. I creep fed a bit this year due to all the multiples I had.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...
                        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.