• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning for post-Vanclief era

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning for post-Vanclief era

Farm leaders plan for post-Vanclief era
    this document web posted: Tuesday August 5, 2003 20030731p12
    By Barry Wilson
    Ottawa bureau

CHARLOTTETOWN, P.E.I. - Farm leaders within the Canadian Federation of Agriculture are openly talking about the need to replace agriculture minister Lyle Vanclief to repair the strained relationship between the government and the country's largest farm lobby.

During the annual CFA summer board meeting July 24-25, provincial and commodity leaders were talking about a promise from Liberal leadership front-runner Paul Martin to improve programs and work with farm organizations.

"I think the whole agriculture sector is looking forward to a change," said Saskatchewan dairy farmer and past president of Dairy Farmers of Canada Leo Bertoia.

"I think there is a need for a change not just at the political level but at senior departmental levels as well. I think many of us do not think Mr. Vanclief was really the boss."

Ontario Federation of Agriculture president Ron Bonnett, from Vanclief's home province, said the minister and his senior officials have engaged only in "token partnership and consultation" with farmers since a breakthrough agreement in principle on a new policy framework two years ago.

"We thought they meant it when they promised partnership but it turns out they already knew what they wanted," he said.

"I think a fresh team and a new minister is the way to approach this. Ultimately, as the boss in the department he has to bear some responsibility for the deterioration of the relationship. We are looking for an improvement in that."

From Alberta to Prince Edward Island, Manitoba to Quebec, the message was much the same from farm leaders.

"We don't have a minister of agriculture," scoffed Quebec leader Laurent Pellerin. "We have a minister of trade. We have a pee wee government."

In the back of their minds was a letter from Martin, sent July 23, that promised a new era of policy activism and collaboration.

"I am making a commitment to you, and through you to Canada's farmers, to work with our government caucus and with farm organizations to take all action reasonably possible to secure the industry's future," Martin wrote to CFA president Bob Friesen.

He promised more detailed policy proposals later but added: "At the bottom line, farmers need tools that truly work for them."

By embracing the caucus task force on the future of agriculture that criticized the government's approach to implementing the agricultural policy framework, Martin also appeared to be signaling he recognizes the chasm and hostility that has developed between Ottawa and the country's largest and oldest farm lobby.

"I believe he is signaling a commitment to develop policy from the bottom up and that is welcome," said Friesen, who would not publicly join the debate over whether Martin should look for a new agriculture minister if he wins the party leadership and government in November.

"But I believe my members are saying that because they feel totally jilted by this government and its determination to do policy the way it wants, whatever farmers say."

Martin said Canada's trade negotiators must "work particularly hard at effectively defending the Canadian Wheat Board and Canada's supply management systems."

And the former finance minister said he "entirely reject(s) the false notion harboured by some that farming is somehow an old-fashioned carryover from the so-called old economy."

Friesen said the promises made in the letter, and the expectations raised, will be used to judge and prod the performance of the new government if Martin takes over.

We can only hope it happens soon!

Comment

Tomorrow would actually be two years too late. He has did his best to put farmers down to the same level that he was as a farmer broke. He seems to take great pleasure in watching the agriculture structure disintegrate with his help. If our present liberal caucus had any different opinion of agriculture than he does he and his deputy minister would have been replaced years ago. So much for free trade it sure is helping us a pile now more trade restrictions than ever.

Comment

Maybe we should trade Van Deaf, I would even be willing to let it be a "free trade"

Comment

Gpod one Muttley!!!!!! first laugh I have a had for a week. It is oh so true!!!!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...