• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Macdon M150 Light issues.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macdon M150 Light issues.

On this swather(08 first production year) we are having light issues. We don't do alot of night swathing so it hasn't driven us completely nuts yet but...(only about 600 hrs on the machine)

When working at night, with all the lights on, a circuit breaker will trip.

The newer models have a heavier circuit breaker in place for the road lights(30 instead of 20 amp) and two heavier maxi fuses(larger fuses for work lamps) but we never blew the 20 amp maxi fuses in the first place. The circuit breakers were ever the only things that would trip and reset when the complete load was taken off of them or reduced the load.

There has been an update in the newer models of M150 on the fuse/relay/circuit breaker panel compared to ours. The ones I listed and a "lighting direction relay" which isn't on ours.

We are able to swath at night by reducing the load on the circuit breakers. We are basically down to the cab forward lights(working lights facing forward) We shut off the rear(roading lights) and unplug the two lights on the cab corners shining to the ends of the header and remove the detachable radio front.

Anyone else having any issues and what solution did you find. Macdon Customer service hasn't been any help (by not returning email inquiries)

We clean this thing off that a mouse would starve if it had to live on it and put it in a shed(tractor portion) and put poison on it as well. There is no signs of chewing or smell of mice. I think it may be the load for the gauge of wire is too high. Nothing was added to it that would increase the load on the wiring. Does anyone know of an upgrade from Macdon?

Have u asked this in the combine forum here it might turn into a political ,religious or wheat board discussion.

Have you asked your friendly neighbour dealer for your territory reps phone number?

Comment

It wouldn't be hard to hook in a relay triggered by the light circuits but getting power direct from battery.

A little 2 wire 12 gage with relay plug.. 50 $ could get the source power changed over. 30 amp relays are cheap.... As are 30 amp breakers. Peavy Mart has good cheap wire... Get some loom and Cover and tuck in new power supply wires. Upgrade better than MacDon.

Comment

Sorry MC... Was writing on cell while you posted.
        Hope I wasn't too political or religious talking about : relays, breakers, 2wire... Loom and Peavy Mart!!!
        Cheers!

Comment

On new JD equip the Canbus makes us do these mods often... To not mess up ecm and computer. Amps are spec driven now.... If anything is unusual the ecm gets mad fast.

Comment

Yes Tom it was awful but but this time Ill let it slide. A good idea though whay about changing the lights out to LEDS less power draw and nicer light been going to do that on our m150, we got a new peavy mart. Going to be hard on the Poor Ol UFA.

Comment

mcfarms, I'm not a contributor to the combine forum and a lot would argue here either, lol.

Have you had this issue?

Sounds like a pricey conversion.

Comment

I saw some newer style M155's and I think they still have the old style lights as well.

Comment

Ours is the first year, 2007, NO issues at all at 1100 header hours. Tell me it was hand assembled as a pre- production.
                  Heard of our electrical issues though.

Comment

I have fought the same issue.

Here's the fix:
                    Take the cover off your fuse box beneath the right hand step platform.
                    Now go swath all night, problem free.
                    Yes, it will get covered in dust.

I have replaced all the relay/fuses with higher amperage ones and it makes no difference. (That was the official fix from Macdon) From what I hear I still don't think Macdon has truly fixed this problem.

Comment

Jay-mo: I have a call into customer support/service and waiting for a return call.

It's just I don't want to pay a service department to "diagnose" a problem that has no fix without modification. I believe this is an engineering/manufacturing issue.

So you're saying not enough ventilation and have a heat buildup on components in the fuse compartment? Why only the lights though? There are other functions on circuit breakers. I can't imagine the amount of dirt that would build up on that fuse/relay/circuit breaker panel, mine is coated in dialectic grease!!

Comment

we have the same issue with our M155. the circuit breaker will trip intermittently and I will loose most of the lights. I have considered going to led lights in place, Im sure they draw less power. I have found that on cool nights the problem is less of a issue.

Comment

It is definitely a design flaw in both electrical and in the physical location of the fuse panel.
                          If you put your hand on that cover after swathing for a few hours it is smoking hot. I think a lot of the heat is from external engine heat being directed at it. Not necessarily that the electrical system is really being overloaded.
                          I agree James, the cooler the night, the less issues with that relay breaker.
                          Yes, it gets covered in dust, but at least you can keep dropping canola when the pressure is on.
                          I haven't had any issues with it getting dusty and it doesn't get rained on where its located.

Comment

Farmaholic, I am interested to hear what Macdon had to say to you about the problem.

Comment

Someone has been in touch with me and has put in quite an effort but wouldn't admit to it being a "recurring" problem. Sad to hear the M155s may still have the issue. I'll post pictures of our fuse panel and the revised("C") panel of August 2010. Yours might be different. ...again.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.