• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Look at the Positives

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look at the Positives

I grew up in a small town always jealous of the "farm kids". They had animals, mom's that baked cookies, lunch to eat on the school bus, and could wander around their yards in their pyjamas if they wanted to. They had Freedom! I was so lucky to marry a farmer and now I too have that freedom! We have had many struggles, be it drought, hoppers, prices, bse ..... but we still have the sunrise, the sunset, the home baked cookies and coffee on the deck in my pyjamas. With all the bad happening in agriculture right now it is easy to get ourselves down. But remember how resilient the farming community is! We will not let this or the next thing get us down. Once again we will find a way to cope and continue to enjoy our challenging way of life.

I like the farming or rural way of life but, it just doesn't seem realistic to be able to enjoy the life anymore.

My town has about 400 to 500 people living in it. The discussion at coffee row the other day was this. When was the last person from around here who had moved away, returned to farm? As well when was the last family that moved back?

We were all stumped and left with no answer!!! There is allways older farmers quiting but the last few years I have seen more under 40 year olds get out or downsize to do something else.

Comment

I think it is good to be positive. We need to correct what needs to be corrected, but on the other hand, enjoy what there is to enjoy too. Economics does not guarantee happiness for very long, as you can get used to and take for granted every single luxury and pleasure that you have. Now we can take for granted the airconditioning in the tractor, or the dishwasher in the house, or the trees and birds around the yard, but you could be living in an apartment, or sitting on a metal seat tractor in the open, or still having a wringer washer. Nothing is perfect, but there are many blessings to be found, even sometimes in difficult circumstances.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...