• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new grass

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new grass

Seeded some land back to alfalfa grass mix with a bit of oats.Cut and baled weeds and oats a month ago.New grass looks good in tall stubble.Will it hurt it I fall graze that land? Only half of it is new and the rest is tame hay that was not good enough to bale but real good to graze.They also have lots of native grass in the pasture hooked on that they water from.Was thinking alfalfa would have stored enough in roots not to hurt it.Seeded grass end of April but really did not get going good till june

Not sure myself, but in roughly same situation so waiting for replies.(Although new seeding completely done in August, when we started getting rain...)
    Thinking I will leave mine until next june or so, but interested in comments.

Comment

I'd be wary if it was only cut a month ago - you'd either be taking a second bite out of plants that are recovering from the first cutting or they are still fairly small/young/tender.

We are grazing a pasture mix (60% legume, mainly alfalfa) just now that was seeded May 4th. Took 8 ton /acre of weed/alfalfa silage off in mid July and the alfalfa regrowth is knee high now. We've been on it 10 days and just got our first frost Monday night. My thinking is we wont hurt the stand as we plan to graze it next in July once everything has fully regrown. Setting the alfalfa back a little is my plan to help the grass get better established next spring.

Comment

Graze after hard frost, like November!

Comment

When I cut it I never really cut the grass much.Cut high.Cows would have lots off other area to graze.But it would be just open gate and make a 300 acre pasture to 400.So may run them in a couple weeks on that for a couple more weeks over there.

Comment

I would leave it till next year, unless your situation is dire. Expensive to seed, and if there is a good stand, it would be a shame to set back.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...
            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.