• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DRY!!!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DRY!!!

Awefully dry here in the parkland area of Manitoba.Six tenths of an inch a couple times and half an inch a couple times are the only meaninful rains we have had since the snow left.The crops somehow were fairing quite well up until this heat but now they are dying quickly.The pastures are nearly done with some guys moving cattle already and some feeding.The hoppers are attrocious!We are very short of hay in this area and can't even plan on selling an animal!This game is no longer fun...
    What's it like in your neck of the woods?

I am in south central saskatchewan 60 miles north of regina and it is really dry now. We fed our cattle till June 20 before we put them out to pasture so the pasture is still super and will hold out till late fall. The tame hay froze and along with the hot dry weather turned out poor. Our only saviour was 50 acres of sweet clover we underseeded last year it was super. We got 170 big round bales off it. And the native slough hay that we can cut was real good as well what we have been able to cut. If we manage to get a rain in the next week or so my late oats can be cut for greenfeed and then we will have enough hay. I guess I am lucky compared to lots of other people. Lets all do a big rain dance tonight and maybe we will all get lucky and get some rain.

Comment

So dry in may neck of the woods(central Sk. north of Regina and Moose-Jaw) that the grasshoppers are dieing of thirst!!!

Comment

Here in West Central Alberta (S.W. of Red Deer) we are very dry - another week or so of this hot weather and we will pretty much be where we were last summer. There has been some significant rainfall in certain areas i.e. spotty rain so some places are doing pretty good. The rain seems to be going either north or south of us. We are also in the midst of some of the worst grasshoppers we've seen out here and with the big cracks in the ground I'm afraid there is going to be ample room to lay eggs.

Still, I think we are better off than some out east of us, so we'll be grateful for what we've got.

The grasshoppers are bad enough that parts of the pasture look like they've got crop circles in them. Hey, now there might be a bit of a way to get some extra cash! ;-)

Maybe the predictions weren't wrong after all - this year will be worse than last. Actually, last week I heard a professor from a California university on the radio and he was saying that we haven't seen the worst of it yet. He's been studying tree rings and says that the worst of the drought is still to come. Boy, do I hope he's wrong.

Comment

We are 90 miles east of Innisfail in east central Alberta. Crops are above average, hay was above average, pastures the same. Grasshoppers are very bad but the taller crops seem unaffected. Got 1/2 inch rain a few days ago which will help. More will be needed to fill crops. Much, much better than last year, the country is green.

Comment

Southwest Manitoba - Grasshoppers are huge, and numerous. Some cattle off pasture already. Local community pasture is talking about sending cattle home at the end of August. Crop stress is showing up all over now. It's going to be a long hard winter.

Comment

we live northwest of Red Deer We are so dry. Between the grasshoppers and the drought we might get 1/4 -1/2 round bale per acre. Rain has been very spotty, some places not far away are good, but are getting quite dry now.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...