• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

echinacea

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

echinacea

I've been investigating echinacea for a year now and feel confident about handling the difficulties associated with this crop. I have the echinacea production book from Dr. Blade but is there any more current information about direct seeding? I have talked to many producers,most who use seedlings, and have heard germination rates from direct seeding from 80% as a high to 3 plants out of 30,000/! Big difference! Any other relevant info about direct seeding would be appreciated.

You have heard correct on direct seeding of echinacea. If you decide to direct seed, it is important that the seeds are stratified. In particular for angustifolia and pallida. Cold stratification at 4 degrees C for 28 to 35 days. Need light as well. Studies at CDC North indicate without light, germination percentage dropped by as much as 50%. During cold stratification, exposure of 40 foot candles was found to be sufficient. My other comment with growing echinacea is that we have aster yellows disease. Go to http://www.agric.gov.ab.ca/agdex/600/30000001.html for information on this.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...
    X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.