• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Focus on farms

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Focus on farms

It has been a while since I have stopped into this forum, however I can see that not many have been here to visit.

With all the challenges we are seeing in Canada and around the world I am sure thinking that now more than ever those folks with a spiritual base should be reaching out.

There are several reasons for us to share our thoughts and resources but mostly it would be to let your urban and rural brothers and sisters know you are there. Building confidence in the Canadian Agriculture industry and the people that take part in it.

Just my thoughts, would love to hear yours.

Thanks for your interest, Value Chain. Alas, summer is a time when most of the folks associated with spiritual institutions are on stand-down, and those remaining are covering several fronts. So I'm not aware of significant statements of support being made through the structured Church.

My own realization, as I write for the various resources I address, is that Canadians are clearly indicating they have confidence in the Ag. Industry, and are doing what they can to support it.

But feelings of skepticism and depression come quickly to rural folks when their fate gets caught up in the games politicians play. What are the ends these politicians aspire to? Are they committed work for the good of the Ag. Industry? Or for the higher profile of the vote-getter?

As I seek to develop a Canadian Rural Church Network that gives attention to such matters, my heart aches for those who are left helpless and hopeless.

Comment

sasse my heart goes out to you, but all you can do is share the gifts you have! Smile and allow the big guy to do his work through you. His plan is not always our plan but I trust his plan first.

The situation of helplessness and hopelessness you mention gives us all the opportunity to work our individual gifts to change those situations as much as we can. How deep in mediocrity our society is will be the determining factor to how many folks we can work with to change those situations.

Keep smiling with the knowledge that he does work through you.

Comment

Hi, folks. Particularly Joyce Sasse. Joyce, I think you and I have never met face to face, but I am one of your many fans, and happily so.

I am convinced that a major portion of the success of any community, particularly rural community, is a function of the mission of the local church. The church should, in my opining, always have a mission of leading its people into a life of faithful interdependent entrepreneurship.

To do this there are many areas in which the church can and should stick its nose in the community. It can motivate. It can teach every kind of skill. It can raise consciousness. It can teach collaboration. It can build an ethical operative base. And on and on.

While I know that this is why we call attention to Jesus, and answer his call, I also know that other religions also do this. Many have become fabulously successful in this matter outside Christianity. Islam is a terrific example.

The trouble is that our churches have often fallen back into the dark ages, assuming that our mission is purely evangelistic (read "building our own power base"). A century and a half ago we worked through this need, taking a lot of poor people and raised them to be wealthy and leading citizens. Then we forgot to bring in new low income people to lift.

This is now our task if the rural way of life we know is to survive.

old karl

Comment

Hello, Joyce and anyone who reads this. I have been around this line for some time, and know the troubles of keeping a line going.

I have been doing some writing for another Canadian setup on the internet, www.suite101.com under the name karl evans. If you go there, just do a search for my name.

I have been working with the idea that the Church has a responsibility in the local community to assist those who want to become entrepreneurs in some way. Family farming, grocery story, fuel, whatever. These are people who can and will keep our communities alive.

In Suite101, I have entered a list of factors that are clearly the responsibility of the church (and perhaps others) and are necessary for successful entrepreneurship. There are several articles so far, and about 20 more to come.

If you read them, I would value your comments, either there or on this line in Agriville. The community of family farms is in difficult straits right now, and needs all the help we can give it.

Thanks for everything.
          karl evans

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...
          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.