• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grasshopper Plague

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grasshopper Plague

I think this is a real issue in some parts of Alberta. They are so gross here (still very dry) I am feeling desperate enough to spend money on almost anything to control them before they eat my house! I had heard of a bio control product called Nolo (specific to the hopper plague, safe for all other critters). The smaller ones get sick and the bigger ones cannibalize the sick ones and also die...sounds worth a try!

Anybody know where to find a product called Nolo Bait?

I think the product is called Eco-Bait. It's a low concentration of Carbaryl and Bran in a mixture. call around, it should be available in your area.

Famers and ranchers in East-Central AB have been using it with relatively good results.

Comment

I am from sask and we have lots of hoppers as well and my neighbours tried that bait(bran and whatever) and it just won't cut the mustard when there is so many hoppers like we have. Just thought I would pass that on for what it is worth. The neighbours bought a little spreader to put in the back of the half ton last winter thinking it would be the answer but they aren't at all satisfied.

Comment

I tried the EcoBait around the yard this year and had no luck with it. Heard other people say the same. Some were happy with the results.

Comment

NoLo (sic), the product I am trying to discover does not contain a chemical, but some sort of nematode/infectious agent specific to hoppers (locustae). It is supposed to infect the smaller ones first and then the bigger ones cannibalize the dead and dying, essentially committing suicide (which, you have to admit, would be satisfying to see). It is strictly a biological control comparable in its model to the stuff used to kill tent caterpillars. I think it is available in the U.S. but wonder if any CDN farmers have used/know how to get it?

Comment

The hoppers in the north have been very bad, some of the producers are concerned they may only have a month of pasture left and are trying to spread their herds out more in an effort to conserve what they can.

Comment

I used the bait around crop land that borders pasture and area's that would be difficult to spray without a plane.
              I was real happy with the result but the hoppers were small and not flying. I will use it again if needed!!

Comment

The hoppers are thicker then ever. I have used decis,seven, and eco-bran and we have lost the battle. I have heard rumours of a pure non chemical product in the states but I also heard that our inspection agency will not let it into our country because no chem company will pay for the testing to get it past.. If it is true I for one will be upset. You would think that our gov. would do the testing them selves or let us pay!

Comment

I heard the grasshopper report the other day - put out by Alberta Ag, I think, and they were saying that the infestation ranged from 20 hoppers per square meter to 500 per square meter. Now, out here in west central Alberta we tend not to get too many of them, but this year they are thick everywhere. Even our chickens and turkeys are saying no thanks to more of the hopping buffet. We've even noticed that our ducks aren't eating as much - could be the heat, but we think they are eating the hoppers as well.

Sad part about it is that we are getting so dry again that we have these big cracks opening up in the ground that are at least 4 inches deep and they will have the perfect place to lay their eggs. Another 2 weeks of no rain and we will likely be in the same shape we were last year.

Still, we are looking for that next rain shower that will help things along. Some of the crops are looking pretty good but are getting to that stage that they will need moisture in order to fill out.

Comment

We in West central are very dry. We have managed to miss nearly every rain that has pasted by in the pasted 6 weeks. We have never had a grasshopper problem before, but this year they are so thick. Between Drought last year, BSE, grasshoppers, and drought again, and looking like very low cattle/calf prices, how does one survive. It is bad enough if all these things took place over a 10 year span, but all at once is rather hard to take.

Comment

Sort of know what you are going through Junebug. We are a little better off finally last ten days managed to get one decent rain. Crop is not great but remarkable for what we have went through but just cant spend any more money on spraying for grasshoppers. Our tame hay because of frost grasshoppers and dry weather wasnt great either. Our only saviour was our clover turned out real good and we are able to get some slough hay so will have enough hay for the cattle. We also have a bunch of 41 cent a bushel poor oats from last years fiasco to feed to the cows, so guess instead of feeling down in the dumps should be very grateful their are lots of people such as yourself worse off.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...