• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MOSQUITO CONTROL WITH BACTERIA

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MOSQUITO CONTROL WITH BACTERIA

I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THERE IS A PRODUCT OUT THERE THAT CAN BE PUT INTO PONDS, DITCHES ETC. THAT EATS THE EGGS OF MOSQUITOES BEFORE THEY HATCH. IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HARMFUL TO OTHER ANIMALS WHO DRINK THE WATER. DOES ANYONE HAVE INFORMATION, ( NAME, WHERE CAN YOU GET IT, THE COST ETC.) THAT MIGHT HELP ME OUT? MUCH APPRECIATED!

Yes Dragon flies :-) Just kidding, I heard about it a few days ago too, let me get on the web and see what is out there.

Comment

I found no news on bacterial control, carbamates are the recommended chemical as they break down quickly in the water with minimal effect on other species, releasing dragon flies has become popular in Wpg and releasing gold fish into ponds and dugouts has produced control as well. While a few goldfish might seem to be an expensive treatment, check the price of larvicides that kill all the species in the water and compare...

Comment

spoke too soon, did a google on

bacteria mosquito larvae control

and found a number of sources

http://environmentalrisk.cornell.edu/WNV/WNV-LArchive/3-7-03c.html

seems to be the one most quoted?

Comment

nakodo LOL, your dragon fly treatment made me chuckle, I just read an article that was talking about frogs in ponds and making the pond as attractive as possible to the mosquito so the frogs had lots to eat. They even hung a bug light over a few floating boards. The article sounded very good, but the introduction of gold fish slowed frog production and the guy had to scoop his fat gold fish out of the pond and catch a few more big frogs. Anyway, maybe a good natural way to get the squito bug under control??? Who knows?

Comment

How about a spoonful of motor oil you've drained out of the tractor?

Just a tiny bit clogs their breathing channels, I've heard.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...
            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.