• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wheat on ergot stubble

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheat on ergot stubble

I grew hrs wheat in 99 which went #2, barely. I think it had .018% ergot (if I remember correctly). Can I grow wheat there next year? cps or hrs? I plan on adding copper in all cereal crops in the future, will this help? Thanks ps Black soil zone central AB

Severe ergot infections occur when genetic, nutritional or environmental conditions cause flower stress or sterility. The florets stay open longer and thus are susceptible to infection over a longer period. This year the flooding in early July and cold in mid-July probably predisposed our wheat to ergot. This year we have noticed higher ergot and tip sterility in certain varieties, especially AC Barrie, so there are genetic factors. Copper deficiency and herbicide application can also contribute to increased ergot infections. Ergot control is difficult. There are no effective chemicals or resistant varieties. Our best management practices are rotation with broadleaf crops like canola and peas, mowing of headland and ditch grasses to prevent ergot buildup, use of ergot-free seed, and deep cultivation of heavily infested cereal fields. Modern seed cleaning equipment can reduce ergot to acceptable levels and in some years there is a medical market for the ergot bodies. Finally, if a producer really wants to use some seed that cannot be totally cleaned from ergot, then he should keep the seed for 2-3 years before using. The ergot body doesn't tend to survive for more than one year.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...