• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crop the swath grazing land this year??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crop the swath grazing land this year??

With the prices we are seeing is anyone else thinking crop instead of swath grazing? Suddenly $10 wheat looks like a good idea, you can buy alot of hay for that. Here is the question though does it still pay if I hire everything out?

....and with everyone plowing hayland to put into crop, what will hay prices be?

Comment

Now your out there feeding every day. A fresh paddock of swath grazing is a good time for holidays and further education or just skating on the pond with the kids. As long as cows are retained on this operation, year round grazing is a goal. The bloom of $10 wheat will go off and you will be out feeding high priced hay. Take a look at fall rye. It hit $10 as well and can be used in your grazing rotation in both the spring and the fall. That is just an opinion of course. Consider how much you paid for it.

Comment

personally i am dropping 50 % of the swaths for this winter, along with some of the cows that would have eaten it too. But I will do the work myself seeding the wheat.

I'm thinking I should have dropped the cows back in 03 or least at the first sign of daylight and persued other more profitable ventures .

But thats the million dollar question I will rethink this winter skating with the family on the pond....

Comment

I have no plans of seeding crop for swath grazing this year. Still things can happen like last years wet spring or weather challenges through the growing season that can change those plans. Cattle remain an excellent way to pull the rabbit out of the hat when the weather does not cooperate with cropping intentions. It is never a total loss if you have some cows around.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...