• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dehorning by the moon

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dehorning by the moon

Anyone here dehorn or castrate by the moon? When is the best time to do them? I don't know if it works or not but I do know that sometimes you do these procedures and they bleed like crazy and then other times they don't! Why the difference? Also what is the best method to dehorn yearlings?

I think this is just great, just great, I had no idea that you could adopt a progressive solution to your dilemma so quickly. Please rest assured that I will continue to give what poor aid I can.

Don't feel bad about the food for humans bit, there may be a lot of us going in this direction. May we learn from your initiative.

Comment

PS, I didn't actually suggest a co-op approach for you.... perhaps I was under the misunderstanding that it wasn't your bag. However if you would like I could talk to some co-op organizer types who I'm sure would be glad to give suggestions on who to contact in your area and what needs to be done to set it up. Just say the word.

Comment

Can't help you on the switchgrass but I have a couple of neighbours growing organic hemp, they've both been at it for about 5 years now. They've found great markets, all they have to do is truck it 3 hours away for free and they'll be paid 60% of what it cost them to grow it. Big square bales of it make great windbreaks for wintering cattle, they won't eat it.

Comment

I don't think it's so much doing them by the moon as doing them before they see too many moons! They should all be done as calves in my opinion - castrating or removing horns on yearlings is bad practice in my book althogh we've all had the odd one slip by and get done a little older than ideal.

Comment

I don't like doing them now either but I wasn't able to work them as newborns due to knee surgury just before calving. Now I just don't have an option, they must get done now.

Comment

There is a relative of hemp which is very profitable but the government won't let me grow it. I tried it years ago on a small-scale plot and it grows well in Alberta. I don't know if the cattle will eat it or not, but somehow I doubt it as it is too tough. The flowers are nice though.

Comment

Do you suppose that if we formed a co-op, or a board to manage that particular variety that the government would see the light? That would probably be one of those high hopes. :>)

Comment

Hemp contracts being signed now:

Specs:

Certified Organic Hempseed
                  #2 or better
                  < 2.5ppm vomitoxin

Peroxide Value: max 1.0 meq/kg oil
                  FFA: max 0.3%
                  Moisture: 8.5-9.5%
                  Test Weight: Min 44lbs
                  Purity: 99.9%

.85Cents/lb Canadian dollars

2 year contracts

$200.00 per tonne for baled organic hemp straw

Parsley

Comment

It doesn't make for the cleanest job of dehorning but you can use twine or surgical tubing tied snug around the horn base in a figure 8. If done right they will hardly bleed at all. Problem is you have to leave just enough horn to hold the tourniquet. Makes for some ugly scurs if you keep a bunch of heifers back. You can also sear the vessels with a hot iron to stop the bleeding. It's an ugly job at best but better than leaving them.

Comment

Just make sure you take the tubing or twine off, as they will cut right into the heads and make a really big mess. We have found some that the whole skull cap has been loose as someone has forgotten it on them. Terrible if it is in the summertime with the fly issues as well.

Comment

Thanks, I should have included the follow-up.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...
                        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.