• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Our Girl

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our Girl

Made in Canada
    Thursday, 28 February 2008
    By: Sheri Monk
    Apologies to Rick Toney and Mark Elford whose names appeared incorrectly in the paper last week–my fault entirely. I’m still processing everything that transpired at the R-CALF convention and I still can’t figure out why there are so many distinct accents in one country that all speak the same language.
    Iowa and Ohio could hardly understand one another yet this Canadian accent of mine was pointed out at least 50 times while I was there, eh?
    At lunch one day, the rancher to my right asked if I would pass the balsamic vinegar. Of course, he was from Wisconsin and I wasn’t sure what he’d just said, but he pointed so I passed. “Is this Islamic vinegar?” I asked innocently. “I sure hope not,” he said, eyeing his salad with suspicion.
    The first day of the conference, they announced we’d be taking a pledge. I panicked, envisioning a Wal-Mart cult-like cheer, hundreds of American ranchers throwing up their hats and committing their souls to the U.S. cattle industry. Fight or flee, I was ready for both.
    With just one hand on the camera to keep the other fist free and my eyes on the door, relief washed over me when I heard the opening words, “I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America...”
    Texas took a while to warm up to having a Canadian at the heart of their convention and I did see one journalist thrown out by security–an American journalist.
    On Feb. 19, I attended the court case in South Dakota to block older Canadian cattle from crossing the line. When I arrived, I unknowingly sat in the very middle of the R-CALF group. I realized this quickly when I heard, “She’s from Canada!” being whispered down the row in front of me.
    After the four-hour ordeal, I realized that Brad Wildeman of the CCA was in attendance. I cornered him then proudly and loudly introduced myself as Canadian and said I would love to hear what he thought of the case.
    But Brad didn’t have time for me right then. He asked me if I could wait a while and then Brad turned on his heel right back into the court room and posed for some pictures. I stood in the doorway, simultaneously shocked and embarrassed.
    But those R-CALF boys who whispered about me when I first walked in witnessed what had just happened and asked if I’d like to join them for lunch.
    My nickname quickly became “Canada” and when I’d pass some of these ranchers in the hallways of the hotel, they’d start singing our national anthem. Not in jest, but in a gesture of friendship.
    Never once at the formal presentations or in whiskey-drinking sessions did R-CALF slam the Canadian producer. While we hear about court cases to keep out our cattle, they speak of their USDA who they do not trust and of Cargill and Tyson who they feel have used producers in both countries to drive down live prices.
    The topics were not limited to BSE or Canadian beef. Property rights and mandatory identification and movement tracking were high on the list.
    I was asked about our brand inspection program and I handed out every Cowtown Livestock Exchange pen I had with me. The bar was plumb full of Canadian whiskey and I helped those boys make good use of it.
    Shooters were a new concept to them and I’ll be damned if they didn’t go and get the ingredients for the next night’s session.
    Blanket BSE testing is something they’re fighting for. In fact, there’s one small independent packer who has sued the USDA for not allowing them to BSE test every animal they kill.
    There was talk of how Canadian and American producers could work together to stop the big packers from using live supplies to depreciate prices, thereby improving the industry for all. See, they don’t want to end up eating Chinese cows either.
    To see a table of loyal R-CALF members even discussing that concept was a proud moment, as it was to see copies of the Maple Creek News-Times tucked under the arms of ranchers from all over America.
    Not because it represents me–but because it represents YOU. Those papers contain a bit of Maple Creek, the Southwest, our history, our cattle, our roots, our country and what we’re made of.
    And I’m pretty damn proud of that.

Does this mean OT and Sandhusker are not representative members of R-Calf???

my my ....

Comment

I'm glad Ms.Monk was able to see the true drive behind R-CALF...
      The following article may explain to you why we (R-CALF, USCA, NFU, etc.)and many independent ranchers are fighting to pass the Packer Ownership Law- and M-COOL...
      The Big 4 is about to become the Big 3-with the creation of a new worldwide Conglomerate Giant...

(If you control a country's food- you control the country---If you control the worlds food- you control the world..)

[SAO PAULO, BRAZIL ¯ JBS SA, already the world’s largest beef processor following the acquisition of Swift & Co., Greeley, Colo., in July, has acquired Smithfield Foods, Inc.’s beef business, including its cattle feeding operations, Five Rivers Ranch Cattle Feeding L.L.C., for $565 million. The news followed JBS’s announcement it was acquiring National Beef Packing Company L.L.C., Kansas City, for $560 million in cash and stock, as well as Tasman Group in Australia for $148 million.

National Beef Packing, which is owned by U.S. Premium Beef L.L.C., is the nation’s fourth-largest beef processor while Smithfield Foods is the fifth-largest. Combining Swift, Smithfield and National beef businesses will make JBS SA the largest beef processor in the United States.]

Comment

"There was talk of how Canadian and American producers could work together to stop the big packers from using live supplies to depreciate prices, thereby improving the industry for all."

Perhaps maybe RKwack should rethink the border closure strategy, as a closed border will only allow the packers to further depreciate prices and play one country's producers against another.

Rod

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...