• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cost of gain?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of gain?

Can someone give me an idea of the current cost of gain on a backgrounding calf in a custom feedlot - going on feed at 600lb and gaining maybe 1lb a day.
    Thanks.

No...but you can bet that it will cost more than what you will get out of the whole process.

Comment

The feedlots around here charge on a cost per pound of gain. I don't think you can find one that will only let them gain one pound, at least here. They prefer to push them. More pounds means more efficient use of the facilities.

I'm not sure what they charge, but I'd bet you can do it cheaper yourself, especially if you're going for a true backgrounding with a low rate of gain.

In this area there are farmers who background calves for cattle buyers who've bought for grass. They can do it cheaper than feedlots can, but the way the contracts are written up, it's possible to background these calves for someone and not make any money!

Comment

I hear about $1 a day for large groups targeted for 1.5# a day. I doubt your going to get anyone to keep a calf for less than a dollar a day. One pound a day is a hard number to target. Most targeting that low of gain will be expecting compensatory gains on grass to make the whole program pay.

Comment

It is costing me about $1.20/day for my 550-600# calves doing 1.75-2.0 lbs /day. Using some grain byproducts to cheapen the ration.

Comment

My latest estimates based on a 6wt gaining 2.3 pounds per day with 5 pounds of $210 barley in the ration are $0.89 per day plus yardage, typically $0.35 to $0.40 per day.

Total - End total - $1.24 per day. This can be reduced a bit with lower gains and/or barley substitutes.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...