• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Seen As Dumping Ag Products

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Seen As Dumping Ag Products

A US "nonprofit and tax exempt research and education organization" based out of Minneapolis, The Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy, has published a very interesting report entitled "U.S. Dumping on World Agricultural Markets: Can Trade Rules Help Farmers?"

Go to http://www.iatp.org/ and scroll down to the dumping report. The full report is at http://www.tradeobservatory.org/pages/home.cfm but be warned. It's a large report and will take quite a bit of time to download if you are on dial-up Internet.

Melvill;

If the US is dumping at the prices I can get for my wheat in Montana, which have been as much as $2/bu higher than the CWB will offer... Isn't the CWB dumping into world markets even more than US Marketers?

The CWB has openly and consistantly said that US market prices as "premium" wheat prices... and that we must pay the CWB pool to export into the US market... so the CWB says, cause otherwise we farmers would be "cherry picking" the CWB pools.

Who exactly is responsible for these dumping issues... isn't it the CWB... as all fingers point to the CWB undercutting US marketers... by CWB operational export licensing policies?

Comment

Looks like we are all guilty of dumping according to this report from Indonesia

90% OF IMPORTED WHEAT FLOUR SOLD AT DUMPING PRICES IN INDONESIA

Copyright 2003 Asia Pulse Pte Limited
      Asia Pulse
      April 17, 2003 Thursday 2:09 PM Eastern Time

The Association of Wheat Flour Producers (Aptindo) said 90 per cent of imported wheat flour is being sold at a dumping price on the domestic market.
      Ratna Sari Lopies, an executive director of Aptindo, said yesterday wheat flour products imported from India, China, the European Union, the United Arab Emirates and Australia are all sold at dumping prices.

Earlier the government refused to impose anti dumping sanctions on imports from the European Union, the United Arab Emirates and Australia despite a recommendation from the Anti Dumping Committee to introduce surcharges. .
      The government was concerned more in the interests of consumers, which strongly opposed calls for imposing a high import duty on the commodity.

The government finally announced the slapping of an import duty of 5 per cent on wheat flour to be effective in May.

Ratna said Aptindo will renew dumping petition against the European Union, the United Arab Emirates and Australia in addition to the petition against India and China.

(ANTARA)

Suprisingly US and Canada are not on the list
      Was surprised UAE India and China are. Is some of this N. American grain milled in third counrty then dumped?

Comment

Ianben;

Indonesia is one of the CWB's favorites...

I guess we are all part of the same situation... IF there is a diciplined selling system.

However STE's have political reasons to mask market signals... the CWB's spread between CWRS and CPS/CWRW that is a manufactured by the STE, rather from market demand created by competition and quality of the wheat I grow.

The CWB monopoly stops me from retrieving market value.. the CWB's excuse... I am "cherry picking"... rather than the CWB is dumping our wheat.

EU and US subsidies... plus CWB and AWB International STE's allow dumping... no question.

Now, as the WTO process has pointed out... what are we going to do about it?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...