• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USDA Not Inspecting Downer Cattle

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USDA Not Inspecting Downer Cattle

USDA: CALIFORNIA firm recalls beef products derived from non-ambulatory cattle without the benifit of proper inspection
    17.feb.08
    USDA
    Amanda Eamich
    http://www.fsis.usda.gov/PDF/Recall_005-2008_Release.pdf
    Hallmark/Westland Meat Packing Co., a Chino, Calif., establishment, is
    voluntarily recalling approximately 143,383,823 pounds of raw and frozen beef products that FSIS has
    determined to be unfit for human food because the cattle did not receive complete and proper inspection.
    Through evidence obtained by FSIS, the establishment did not consistently contact the FSIS public health veterinarian in situations in which cattle became non-ambulatory after passing ante-mortem inspection, which is not compliant with FSIS regulations.
    Such circumstances require that an FSIS public health veterinarian reassess the non-ambulatory cattle which are either condemned and prohibited from the food supply, or tagged as suspect. Suspect cattle receive a more thorough inspection after slaughter than is customary.
    This noncompliant activity occurred occasionally over the past two years and therefore all beef product produced during the period of time for which evidence indicates such activity occurred has been determined by FSIS to be unfit for human consumption, and is, therefore, adulterated.
    This recall is designated as Class II due to the remote probability that the beef being recalled would cause adverse health effects if consumed. FSIS made this determination because the animals passed ante-mortem inspection but should have been identified as suspect requiring additional inspection after slaughter to
    determine if there is evidence of disease, injury, or other signs of abnormalities that may have occurred after ante-mortem inspection.
    In July 2007, FSIS issued a final rule “Prohibition of the Use of Specified Risk Materials for Human Food and Requirements for the Disposition of Non-Ambulatory Disabled Cattle.” This rule requires that a case by case disposition must be made by an FSIS Public Health Veterinarian for every animal that becomes non- ambulatory disabled (“downer”) after passing ante-mortem inspection.
    The prohibition of downer cattle from entering the food supply is only one measure in an interlocking system of controls the federal government has in place to protect the food supply. The government has multiple safeguards regarding BSE in place and the prevalence of the disease in the United States is extremely low.
    Other BSE security measures include the feed ban that prohibits feeding ruminant protein to other ruminants and an ongoing BSE surveillance program that began before the confirmation of the first BSE positive cow in the U.S. in 2003.
    As another measure to reduce the risk of potential exposure to consumers, FSIS requires the removal of specified risk materials (SRM) so they do not enter the food supply. Several FSIS line inspectors are stationed at designated points along the production line where they are able to directly observe SRM removal activities.
    The products subject to this recall were sent to wholesale distributors nationwide in bulk packages and are not available for direct purchase by consumers. All products subject to recall bear the establishment number “EST. 336” inside the USDA mark of inspection. The products were produced on various dates from Feb. 1, 2006 to Feb. 2, 2008. Companies are urged to check their inventories and hold the products until the recalling firm makes arrangements for final disposition of the products.

Seems I remember, it wasn't too long ago I was reading about an eastern Canada plant that got closed down for dragging dead and down animals onto the meat chain...So don't go crowing too loud there banty....

And remember as long as your stuck with your policy of riding on the US cattlemans shirttails and sucking on the hind teat of the US market- when the US loses demand- Canada's market goes down about double...

Comment

Yada Yada Yada.......

Comment

Well- Kato you just YADA YADA YADA all you want- and at the speed and direction you are heading now, you and a lot of Canadian cattlemen are fasttracked to the poorhouse...

Money is now at par- and Canadians keep following their sold out old ABP/CCA leaderships same-o same-o policy-- happy as pigs in slop to get back to status quo of riding on the US hind teat ...

Cull cows down here easily selling for $700-850, bulls $1000 to $1400, 6 weight calves are bringing $700-800...I wish with the higher costs it was higher- but its survivable...

BUT--Thats not what my Canadian neighbors I've been talking with have been telling me they been getting- or whats happening in Canada...

So Kato- you keep riding the YADA of the farmer_sons and those that have sold you down the gilted path...Keep knocking the US and US producers while you also try to hang on to the US producers shirttails..

http://www.milescitylivestock.com/2008MarketReports/2.19.08.html

Comment

Cull cows down here easily selling for $700-850

does that include the downers some american cattlemen (!) are obviously willing to sell into the human food supply?

Comment

Wow, that was an interesting URL you posted willowcreek. I followed some links from it to Solaris Feeders and then to Frontier Consulting and read their market outlook posted January 22.

"...the (US) cattle market which has experienced a huge decline from the price levels seen last fall. Most of the decline has happened in the last 6 weeks as grains have gone into the stratosphere. Heavy feeder cattle, namely back grounded 750 to 900lb calves have seen the brunt of the decline as corn has increased. Most of these cattle are being traded at even money or a discount to the current fat cattle price per pound. In the cattle business you rarely see feeder cattle trade at a discounted price to fat cattle. When you do, expensive corn is usually the reason. At these price levels the feeder cattle lose money and break the bank if they did not have price protection in place. Fat cattle are losing money and have consistently for 3 years"

Well that's not quite the model of prosperity you are boasting of. I note also that in your Miles City sale report half the calf sellers are shipping less than 10 calves per head. Even at your higher prices you're not going to buy a new dually on that revenue - maybe you'll have to settle for another mule with 4 legs on the back instead of 2 eh?

Comment

Every time I hear that same old tired hind teat remark, I just can't help it. It's the same old yada yada yada.....

If we must discuss this, it seems to me there are a lot of big old suv's south of the border sucking off more than one hind teat of the Alberta oil industry.

Comment

I thought the timing of this news clip coincided nicely with the R-Calf appeal of Rule 2 on February 19 in Sioux City. Also the The House Appropriations Subcommittee on Agriculture Hearing on February 13th where COOL was a priority (topic of another thread).

This is actually the first acknowledgement I have seen in quite some time by a U.S. agency to the effect that the U.S. still has BSE. As the saying goes, you can fool some of the people some of the time but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. Hopefully this unfortunate situation will remind U.S. policy makers that BSE is a North American problem.

Comment

Well- since you folks say everything is just hunky dory up their in Canucktown, I guess I should just consider my Canadian neighbors/some of those news article authors a bunch of whiners....

I'm sure glad ABP/CCA has got things going so well for you folks....LOL

Comment

willowcreek, would you say this is evidence producers are abandoning the shoot, shovel and shutup strategy of bse control and prevention in america?

Comment

Talk about fooling people farmers_son.
                      I thougth you told us that BSE was quickly becoming a non issue. That we need not worry about BSE testing as it is all but behind us.

I think you are fooling someone farmers_son; and that someone is yourself.

Or are you finally swinging over to the testing side??????

Comment

lol I love how good ol' Willow tries to swing the eyes away from his precious US of A's errors. Whats that you and SH say about testing percentages on Ranchers? Perhaps maybe the prevalence of BSE within the good ol' US of A is considerably higher than Canada.

Blind patriotism isn't much different than idiocy.

Rod

Comment

USDA claims that these cattle passed USDA inspection once- and then went down later while awaiting slaughter- and that the USDA inspectors should have been informed and the cattle reinspected..

Ron-the interesting thing about most the news reports and articles today was that they continued to say that US beef is the safest in the world...

And when they were discussing BSE brought up the fact that while 15 BSE cattle had been found in North America- 13 of those were from CANADA and only 2 from the US...

BRING ON M-COOL!!!!!

Comment

It is to bad USDA turns a blind Eye to downer cows and just slaughters them. The workers problably runs the through during coffee breaks. This is why you don't have many BSE cows found. If you don't look for it you won't find it.Pushing things like MCOOL through lets me know why most of the world hates the US. Put a mcool sticker on your backpack and see how far you get outside you protectionist borders.I think of most AMERICANS as the trailer trash you see on the COPS tv show.

Comment

I hate to admit it ProFarmer but you are probably more right than wrong.We have become a nation of whiners and takers.I'm not proud of it but what do you expect when our government in Washington promotes the idea the whole world is out to get us.We have more than our share of kooks.....like my retarded cousin who blames Canucks for just being there.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...