• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just waiting on ABP

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just waiting on ABP

Well folks - we are damn near ready for a major press release for the "Canada Gold Beef" value chain initiative. All we need is the okay from the gang over at ABP who --- surprise surprise never showed once again at yesterday's B5 meeting. If the boys and girls who think this thing is just a dream don't input in a couple of days the release will go out with 4 organization names instead of 5.

This has been an amazing run for the boys and girls who claim to be the democratic voice of the producer in this province --- and this country. CCA has been invited to all of these meetings as well.

Are you ready to start criticising the best plan to come from industry in the last 30 years like the playschool gang over at the Cattle Feeder Council at ABP?

Our business plan has been worked over by participants to the best of our ability and it is now going to the pros for the final process.

You can't imagine the names coming out of the woodwork in support farmer_son ---- and we have not even let a lot out of the bag yet. In fact more names than I have ever seen support ABP period.

Mark Feb. 21st on your calenders for a formal announcement at the Alberta Beef Industry Conference in Red Deer. But stay tuned to good old Agriville as yours truly will spill a few beans from time to time up to that date.

BIG C is proposing a road show like you never seen before. Kinda like when we went on the road in 2003 - but with clout from cow calf - feedlot and processor this time. You must remember those meetings that BIG C had farmer_son - five to 50 times the people who attended ABP meetings that same year. What did we have here at Ponoka ----- I think over 700, while the ABP meetings can hardly muster "20" outside the delegates, staff and die hards who try to stave off the "20" who are usually pissed right off.

My hat's off to you and the gang Randy. It' good to know there are a lot of free thinkers and doers out there. I was beginning to believe the whole industry, if left to the powers that are, was going the way of the dodo. Have you any reps from BC yet?

Comment

I look forward to the announcement of the grand plan, lord knows we need one. I will be particularly interested in seeing how any enhanced marketing plan or value chain circumvents the problem of the processors pockets any potential benefits and leaves producers with nothing.
      I read through the "sustainable solutions for the beef industry" document created by ABP and found it devoid of new or workable solutions. Among the gems contained is a suggestion that Canada subsidise its ethanol industry to at least the level of the US - yeah right I can see that happening!
      Other than that it seemed to be more of the same old, same old... Grand plans to enhance marketing around the world, new markets etc but all based on the flawed assumption that doing this with the status quo of packer control and manipulation would somehow result in enhanced returns for grassroots producers. History would show that this is unlikely to work.
      Good luck the B4.25!

Comment

Shouldn't be any big news tommorrow. Look for some volatilty today, as funds take profits before tommorrows report.

Also didn't like yesterdays close. Will have to monitor closely in coming days to see how it shakes out.

Comment

The commodity guys wouldn't mind a subsidised ethanol industry. A look to the south at corn and wheat prices show what a new user of a commodity can do for grain prices. Especially when a bunch of other factors around the world put pressure on supply at the same time. Other than the few feeders that can use the byproducts it isn't so sustainable for the cattle producer. Keep up the great work B4.25. I am also looking forward to your announcement.

Comment

ATTA BOY Bill- OOPs- meant Randy LOL

Its nice to hear Canada finally has a "cattlemans organization"- just like the US was without one until we got R-CALF and USCA...

Time for the old fogies at NCBA/ABP to go to their well paid for room at the Old PackerBackers Home...

Comment

Rkaiser: I like an easy fix to the challenges facing the cattle industry as much as the next guy. If I live long enough I may actually come across one that works. Although I have not seen one yet.

It seems as if I will have to wait until Feb 21 to see your proverbial magic wand that only needs to be waved to make all our troubles disappear. But call me curious, how much money is this going to make me? What will the live calf price be once your plan is put into action?

Comment

Silver bullet or not farmers_son, it is 100% more than anything the gang at ABP is working on. Like the whispering commercial says --- No plan No plan...

You won't have to wait til the 21st to get the guts on this thing farmers_son. A lot of it was set out in the manifesto you already had a crack at criticizing. Basically a voluntary producer owned value chain with a marketing arm, working with the existing packer infrastructure - for now - as a custom operator. I know you will have as many problems with it as the boys over at ABP are having. Hell of a thing when something as well received by government and all other players besides a few at ABP was not your idea. How could you and the gang not try to tear it apart.

Careful though farmers_son --- I gotta tell you, even a growing number of current delegates and board members are asking and liking. You might want to play your political cards a little better on this one.

Never seen an ABP chairman, or might I add an incredibly arrogant CFC chairman impeached yet, but there is a first time for everything.

Still wish old Stewey would show up on agriville so we could have a real tabloid mud slinging session. That man is a danger to the entire Canadian cattle industry......

Comment

Sorry for missing your question gcreekrch...
                  If you are asking about reps for BIG C - NO we have none. In fact BIG C is on it's last mission. This project currently in the works is what we were and always have been about. Initiating change and offering an alternative. We ran out of cashola a long time ago and have been working off of our own funds. Did not really feel that he primary producer needed to shell out more cash for another producer group. If this were truly a democratic industry --- ABP would be sharing the checkoff in a way like the opposition in Ottawa gets paid.

This fight is more about people and accountability than anything. ABP could be useful if the right people were in the right places. In fact I have said before and will say again that there are a lot of good people in delegate positions and on staff. The old boys club has to go.

As far as BIG C members. I could see some moving over to Western Stock Growers where I have personally found a group of very intelligent, and cow calf savy folks, if ABP cannot be changed.

We (B41/4) have actually had some good help and continue to gain helpers from some staff and some current CCA members who see the light, as well as a growing number of ABP delegates. The past CEO for CCA has been an incredible asset to this group.

Anywhoo got to go. Any offer to help promote and sell this Canada Gold Beef program will be good for you and your industry gcreekrch.....

Comment

CBOT wheat up .30/bu yesterday and today.......what will happen tommorrow?

Comment

...there are some excellent ranchers in the stock growers org...so it nice to see randy that your groups have gotten together with the feeders to finally work out some solutions...good luck and watch your backs...

Comment

I say thanks again to the movers and shakers. f_s, you need to realize people in your position are there as representatives for your industry NOT messengers from the government. If the executive in the various orgs. could ever learn again to say no and yes at the right times I might be tempted to pay my dues again. Your job description does not end at being well dressed and photogenic.

Comment

farmers_son, I thought yours was a pretty cheap shot at a group of people at least trying to resolve some issues. Nobody is saying it will be easy or a miracle cure but at least someone has some ideas - something ABP seems to be clean out of. It highlights again the arrogance and increasing irrelevance of ABP as an organisation. Given the crisis situation in the beef sector if the ag minister calls various beef producer groups to the table to work out possible solutions - you damn well attend - especially ABP who have the luxury and attached responsibility of being the only levy funded group. Staying away or trying to hold the group back are not options.

Rather like the ABP/CCA rep who attended our ABP producer meeting and stated that in the Q A session he would not be answering questions from BIG-C members. Well actually @#$%^^%^& you have to answer the questions of any beef producer who attended that meeting - and in a civil manner. It is part and parcel of being an elected individual within an organisation where you are being compensated for your time by producers checkoff dollars. This culture of arrogance must end - producers are getting real tired of it. The end may be nigh for ABP when producers get to hear about the current goings on - spending checkoff dollars defending your little empire instead of fighting for producer interests.

Comment

snappu was right - a very dull report. It will be interesting to the reaction.

Comment

Farmers_son maybe it should be pointed out that of all these Alberta folks that are supporting the B5 initiative are rate paying members of the ABP. That in and of itself should be a clue to the ABP that participation is warranted. I don't understand the reluctance to participate given the possible upside. There is no downside to participation. If it doesn't work you can share the pain. If it works you share the glory. Heck man, take all the glory. Most of us are just interested in a sustainable beef industry. Your lack of interest in the group makes me wonder what ABPs end goal is. If you want to critique and criticise it then join up. A $3/head tax is what give us the right to question the ABP.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.