• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cost of new SRM rules?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of new SRM rules?

What is the truth on this one? In Alberta Farm Express there is an article quoting Dennis Laycraft (CCA)saying the Cdn rules are over zealous, too costly "..and might just make the difference between those cattle being processed in the US instead of Canada"
    Yet in an article in Cattlemen listing all the costs involved in cattle production in Canada vs the US they quote "...the extra $5 per head on feeders (sic) and $15 on cows that packers are having to pay to remove SRMs.."
    Is this really the cost of SRM removal?? if so why the @#$@% is Laycraft bitching about this "high" cost that is going to ruin the industry??
    Come to think of it why are CCA/Laycraft spending producer dollars fighting this issue anyway?? - it's a packer issue not a producer one. Remember as farmers_son says we (as producers) are sellers of live fat cattle not beef - similarly "we" do not operate packing plants so we should not be fighting this issue. That is why Tyson and Cargill spend $millions lobbying politicians.
    The wording in Laycrafts article is telling though. On the new SRM rules "That put us at a competitive disadvantage as American beef plants were not faced with the same increased costs"
    There seems to be a confusion within ABP/CCA as to whom they are actually representing. In this case they seem to be clearly lobbying for the financial interests of the US owned packing plants that are ruining Canadian beef producers by their price fixing and captive supply antics.

I was at a bull sale in Alberta last winter and had a visit with an owner of a smaller kill plant near Red Deer. He told me that at the time (January), it was costing him 3 cents a lb. live weight to dispose of SRM's. He also estimated that when last Oct. came around his cost would rise to about 8 cents- live weight. I'll see this fellow shortly and will update you then.

Comment

I was at a bull sale in Alberta last winter and had a visit with an owner of a smaller kill plant near Red Deer. He told me that at the time (January), it was costing him 3 cents a lb. live weight to dispose of SRM's. He also estimated that when last Oct. came around his cost would rise to about 8 cents- live weight. I'll see this fellow shortly and will update you then.

Comment

grassfarmer-quote" "There seems to be a confusion within ABP/CCA as to whom they are actually representing. In this case they seem to be clearly lobbying for the financial interests of the US owned packing plants that are ruining Canadian beef producers by their price fixing and captive supply antics."
        -------------------------------

So whats new? CCA/ABP are kissing cousins of the US NCBA who all sleep together in an immoral menage a trois with the Big Multinational Packer/feeders..... None of those groups have the average cattleman or family farmer/ranchers interest in hand...

Comment

LMAO @ Willowcreek..."immoral menage a trois"...thats funny...

you know the sad part though....it makes me as a small family rancher...want to be heard...it just doesnt seem like anyone wants to represent me though...and do you know what??? the WORST thing we can do...as a group...is form ANOTHER association...that would be self inflicted divide and conquer...thinning the ranks in all associate bodies..until no one group is large or strong enough to make a difference...

really..the only option...is to take the existing dysfunctional regional and national associations and become INVOLVED...lol...

o ya...Willowcreek...there is a "fourth" to add to your sordid love triangle....i dont think the large "corporate" type cattle operations on EITHER side of the 49th are overly concerned with the welfare of the smaller rancher....vs

Comment

How correct you are per- the corporates care little for the loyalty of anyone or any country- its all the allmighty dollar- and how much more profit they can make...And backing these corporates in their profiteering seems to be the only concern of the groups like ABP/CCA/SSGA/NCBA...

From the outside looking in- the only Canadian group I can see that has the interests of the average producer in mind and is fighting for the family farmer/rancher is your BIG-C group......

While they're killing litters of pigs in Canada because they are worth nothing--the multinationals are out sourcing a new cheap source of pork to take the place of Canadian and US product!!! The danger of swine fever or Foot and Mouth Disease be damned by our globalist administration and USDA....If history is an indicator of what they will do in the future- USDA will be fasttracking this importing process...

We need M-COOL now- and the ability to identify, market, and promote Beef/Pork that is born, raised, and slaughtered in the US....Or in the case of Canadians- Beef/Pork that is born, raised,and slaughtered in Canada....

AND WE NEED IT NOW!!!!!!

-------------------------------------
            From Meating Place Quote:
            Brazil pork industry eyes U.S. market as exports rise

By Arnaldo de Sousa on 1/22/2008 for Meatingplace.com

U.S. inspectors may visit Brazil to determine whether its pork exports are fit to enter U.S. commerce, the president of the Brazilian Pork Industry and Exporter Association (ABIPECS) told Meatingplace.com.

"We've entered 2008 with optimism," said Pedro Camargo Neto. "We hope to receive in the first half of the year a mission of the United States to initiate a risk-analysis study, which represents the first step in the process of opening that market."

However, Neto noted that his U.S. counterparts have not yet accepted Brazil's invitation to visit. "If the U.S. mission arrives in Brazil, the process of opening takes one to two years to evaluate the situation of risk to classical swine fever, for example, and recognition of the state of Santa Catarina as free of foot-and-mouth without vaccination," he said, adding that Brazil hopes to receive a similar visit by Mexico.

Brazil's optimism comes as its worldwide pork and pork variety meat exports rose to 606,512 metric tons from January through December of 2007, a nearly 15 percent increase from 528,190 metric tons in the same period in 2006. Value grew almost 19 percent to $1.23 billion, according ABIPECS.

Comment

OOPS- that reply was to vagabonddreamer, not per.....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...
              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.