• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a future for farmers?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a future for farmers?

People seem to be reluctant to talk about where they want agriculture to be in 10-20 years from now. Have we as farmers given up on dealing with the issues that we face in the rural areas? Yes or No. Lets have some discussion about this. Check out the following Website.

Interesting question, derf. And I think a critical one. I believe if farm families and rural communities do not decide what they want their future to look like, someone else will decide it for them. It won't necessarily be a very rosy picture either. It is possible to design the future one desires. My friend Ed Martsolf, a fellow Holistic Management Educator, in Morrilton, Arkansas started working with two others in his hometown of Morrilton (pop. 7000 in a county of 19,000) five years ago. They got many individuals and organizations involved in describing a vision for the future (They called it 'Vision 20/20'), and developed a 'learning institution' to bring about the vision. They developed a strategic plan, and began developing the kind infrastructure they needed for a thriving economy. (Encouraging entrepreneurism, etc.) The county is largely dependent on agriculture and forestry, and in the beginning there were three large employers, providing a total of about 2000 jobs. Last January two of the employers announced they were closing their plants within two weeks of each other, which meant the loss of 1200 jobs. Without the 'Vision 20/20' program in place, the town would have been devastated. As it is, the plant closures are seen as an opportunity, and the people in the town and county have never felt more optimistic about their future. It started with a small group of people deciding they needed to take some action. As the saying goes 'the best way to predict your future is to create it.' I belive the next decade may be very challenging for farm families and rural towns. One thing seems clear: carrying on in the same manner as in the past will lead to the same results.... fewer farms, more stress, and smaller towns. Farm subsidies will also no doubt disappear, (see Jim Romahn's commentary: http://www.cfbmc.com/commentary-e/). Changing to a brighter future starts with people deciding what they want, and then planning what they have to do to bring it about.

Comment

The future ain't what it used to be. It is very true that if we carry on the way we have, we are going to see further erosion of rural life and the business of farming. People are maybe reluctant to talk about 10 or 20 years down the road when they can't see their way clear to next week or 6 months from now. I agree wholeheartedly that 'you are what you want the world to become' (Gandhi). Each rural area or small town has its own unique identity and this can be built upon. If enough areas and towns do this, similarities will emerge and those can be worked on and so forth. We can work towards a brighter tomorrow that we are in charge of, not being told what we are going to do. We can want for those nebulous 'things' that would make us all happy, but are likely the same things that we won't have too much impact in deciding. What we need to focus on is what we can change. Part of that is risk management and being pro-active rather than reactive.

Comment

I don't believe most farmers have given up. However there seems to be very little agreement about which way we should be going. We seem to not only disagree on how we got into this crisis, but on how to move on. Ironically, the most attractive part of this industry, our independence, is also the main reason we may never see our way out of this crisis.

Comment

That's a very good point bernie. Maybe we need to learn to be interdependent and work together.

Comment

derf ; I've read read your comments in the business forum and now here .I have to reply. You where right saying big business has to answer to the shareholders and they will do what ever it takes to please the shareholder or at least keep them at bay .I do believe there is alot of bad feelings out in the country as well. I also believe there is a way to band together and keep our individualism check this out http://www.agr.gov.sk/discussion click the coffee folder then click Jan2 2000...more broke follow the thread all the way then post back here with your feelings on it. It has some very interesting views posted

Comment

Here are the two answers if have heard so far.The future with subsidies will bring on bigger farms and more people leaving.The future without subsidies will promote the small farm to get a alternative source of income & hang on to what he has & try to make a go of it.The idea now is its very lucrative to get out of farming now so why not.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...
              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.