• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Years Resolutions

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Years Resolutions

This year I intend to formalize our farms business plan, get it in writing. I will work on two books. One on farm management that I hope will benefit my son and another book of childrens stories and poems for my grandchildren. Plus I got to finish the shower in the basement.

What are others doing?

Finish and execute our succession plan.
    That will take a full year of full time effort.
    Haven't decided on my educational goals for the year yet.

Comment

With your propensity to retell the fairy stories propagated by ABP your kids book should be a best seller farmers_son! Sorry couldn't resist that one.

I don't make resolutions but in 2008 we plan to aggressively expand our purebred operation, rent some pasture and turn into more of a yearling selling operation - basing the extra production on grass. Plan to spend more time on marketing our beef and aim to increase sales by at least 50%. Am also taking on a little consultancy job for the first time. My biggest challenge will be to manage my time to allow for the extra work and possibly fit in enough time for a trip back to the old country. Looks like I'll be delegating the household improvements to a professional in the field (hiring it done).

Comment

Wouldn't it be nice if every cattle producer could live happily ever after. Again, good one.

Comment

Thankfully the business plan is done and has become an ongoing document with reglular visitations (sometimes like going to the hospital to see a sick friend). I don't like to make resolutions so it just isn't going to happen.

I would however like to read some of your poems. Notwithstanding the earlier burn I'll bet others on this site would too.

Comment

Oh my goodness, farmers_son's fairy tale turned in to poetry......

My plans are to have our beef company supplying product to Taco Del Mar within the first quarter and to have BSE tested Canadian Beef in to the Japanese consumers kitchen by the second quarter.

If all goes well --- should be looking at retirement by the third quarter and coming out of retirement to run beside George in the fourth for the president of Oldtimer's U.S. of A.

Comment

GEEZ Randy, with those goals in mind, I don't see where you are going to have enough time to promote your bull sale !!!
              I am NOT going to run for President, Prime Minister,or even Premier for that matter, but I do have some major goals for 2008.
              Kitchen renovations are high on the list, but the number one goal is to stay active and healthy.....and SANE if possible !

Comment

Kaiser, you're imagination knows no boundaries.lol Alas, as you and I both know, I am an eternal dreamer as well. Our plan for 2008 is to institute a holistic grazing plan that, combined with bale-grazing in winter, will see us double our forage production by 2010. Of course, when you can only grow 1/2 bale to the acre, going up to 1 bale to the acre isn't that big of a jump. Ha!

Also have a personal goal to ride my bike a few miles every morning, as I did last summer. Kaiser may end up to be the Bowflex grandpa, but I'll set my sights on following Lance Armstrong's lead, and winning the Toure D'Hickville.(Save for the testicular cancer that is)

Comment

Randy in a TV ad saying' this is a real BOWFLEX BODY'.....now that is taking imagination to the limit !!!

That might be the way to go Randy, think of all the advertising cost you would save for the bull sale, just shoot a few Bowflex commercials in the bull pen with the sale date flashing in the background !!

Comment

Wonderful ideas all around. Maybe.

Here we simply plan to keep those damned, ineffective, politically correct, weak kneed and useless cattle orgs off our land, out of our house and out of our business.

That and survive for another year by doing what we do best and what cattle orgs cannot or do not want to do:

Create opportunities.

Bez

Comment

Son #2 is planning a wedding for fall, so I guess I'm on a diet! Like it or not......

That's as close to a resolution as I get. LOL

Comment

Here-Here to Bez's resolutions, only mine would add non-productive burocrats to the list. I am another outspoken pro testing redneck from BC who gave up paying THE assoc in 03.

Comment

How does your check-off get paid? In the sheep industry, we don't have a choice - the check-off is collected when we buy the CFIA tags. They opted to do it this way because far too many producers, feedlots etc. were choosing not to send it in.

Comment

If only we had the choice! Levy on cattle is deducted automatically by the auction marts from sale proceeds.
                            Cakadu is your email still @telusplanet.net?

Comment

Let's call it what it is... a Sales Tax.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...