• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mandatory Age Verification...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mandatory Age Verification...

It has long been known that AB would like to enforce mandatory age verification. I have been thinking about this (yes our calves are age verified) and wonder how we have managed to become so self centred in AB that we think all the cattle fed and killed in AB are actually AB beef.
    It seems to me that a lot of the cattle fed and harvested here are from herds of origin in SK and MB. Since this is the case, does anyone have any ideas how the AB gov would enforce age verification? If the database is secure from governments prying eyes (only for traceback) then how could they possibly enforce this onto non AB cattle on feed?
    So let's assume it is mandatory for AB producers in order to access programs such as CAIS. in essence we are now at a competitive disadvantage to calves from other provinces/states that do not have to bear the cost (however slight) of age verification.

I've been wondering the same thing. What's the point of making it mandatory in the first place?

Comment

Relatively I think this is a non-issue at the current time - you're not concerned at what's happening in the ABP thread Sean??
      We have so many serious issues on the go that a few dollars here and there if age verification were made manditory are the least of my concerns.

Comment

Just like most other issues the government is asking for industry to come up with a plan. So far the only plan seems to be to have the primary producer pay, and make the effort and get ready for the trickle down of profits. LOL Good thing we have big pockets hay folks. Those trickles are starting to flow over in mine. OR NOT

One of the resolutions that managed to pass at the ABP AGM involved sending carcass grade and quality info back to the person who bought the tag. Good one until-------

The feedlot boys tried to sneak one through where they had access to the info as well --- for nothing. Tried to make it sound like, "if this did not happen the cow calf boys were once again not caring about the entire industry."

Talk about your holding hands together and all working for the betterment of the industry at ABP. Another joke. There is more division between cow calf and feedlot at the AGM than there is agreement.

Why would the feedlot boys not offer to foot part of the bill for age verification and tagging? Seems like a win win for everyone including George.

The best way for age verification to work is for producers to see benefits by owning cattle throughout the chain. Take another look at the proposal brought forward by BIG C, ACFA, WSGA, and the Feeder Association boys. Age verification could work well if we all start to work together.

More to come. Next meeting for the round table boys on adding value on the 18th, and yes ABP is invited.

Comment

Forgot to mention another little tidbit about age verification. A couple of resolutions at the ABP AGM involving reward or even tag payment by the government for those who age verify. Both were tabled for later discussion.

However some folks did not like the idea of government paying.

These two old boys are both on the Cattle Industry Council and both are in need of age verified cattle. They preach about it steady and for good reason. They are personally able to take advantage of the cattle that are age verified.

When challenging the government payment of tags , I asked one of them how anyone could be so in favor of age verification yet not support a little program that could actually help get more cattle enrolled.

Maybe farmer_son could help me out on this one and ask his informant what the response was cause I can not honestly remember if there was one.....

Comment

Smcrgrath76: Regulations do not have to make sense. The Province of Alberta could regulate mandatory age verification with the stroke of a pen. There are a host of other Regulations and Acts out there that do not make sense either. A lack of common sense has never been reason for any government to avoid interfering in the marketplace.

The feedlots are still receiving premiums for finished age verified cattle. They are able to find age verified cattle within their pens without paying extra for them and the feedlots do pocket $30 per head premium on every one they come across. However age verified calves are a lot harder to find then they were even a year ago. If the marketplace was allowed to function at some point it would seem that feedlots would start paying small premiums for age verified if there was sufficient demand and premiums for age verified. In my opinion age verifying calves adds a lot more value to a carcass than $30. The packers are keeping the lions share of the extra value that age verifying creates and not leaving enough to pass down through the feedlot to the primary cow calf producer who actually creates the value. If the packers were paying $75 for an age verified calf then some of that would trickle down to the cow calf producer and the marketplace would function.

Within Canada we still do not have a functioning competitive marketplace for live cattle that distributes the consumers beef purchase dollars equitably throughout the marketplace and age verification is a glaring example of that. It seems the Governments answer to a non functioning marketplace is to add to the regulatory burden that has become part and parcel of raising cattle. If the present trends continue it would seem that down the road Government will make raising calves mandatory once all the profit has been driven out of it.

Of course, we can all access the $30 premium by keeping our calves through to finish. If ABP wanted to do something to encourage age verifying calves perhaps they could consider a line on their market price page showing age verified premiums for finished calves and hopefully when the market gets going a line for age verified premiums for weaned and backgrounded calves. A small thing that costs nothing but may make a difference, in effect creating a new market.

Age verifying does offer the small operator an opportunity to retain ownership if he/she is allowed to hold onto to the age information of the animal. Make it mandatory and that small advantage is all lost to the big feedlots.

It seems to me that the Government of the Province of Alberta is seeking to protect the profits of the two large packers when they seek to make age verification mandatory.

Rkaiser: Sorry I cannot help you, I was back in my bat cave during the AGM and my informant only passed along the major highlights. But keep guessing.

Comment

So I guess they would be similar places? one venue would be full of bull@#$% and the other full of guano.

Comment

You got me there.... Got a good chuckle from that. Well done.

Comment

Yip --- we don't usually see that kind of levity from old grassfarmer. Must be the Christmas season.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...