• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Imported pork products

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imported pork products

With Canadian pork producers selling into a depressed market where they are losing $50 a hog, why are we "featuring" pork backribs imported from Finland?

When I saw this at our local Co-op, I nearly blew a gasket. If they hadn't been packaged with the country of origin on them, I wouldn't have known.

Something wrong here folks. When our producers are facing bankruptcy, this shouldn't happen unless the Canadian government is prepared to SUBSIDIZE to rectify this pathetic situation.

Any thoughts out there????

Wilagro, wouldn't we have tarrifs on that kind of stuff coming into the country?

I'm also wondering if we export our backribs elsewhere?

Don't get me wrong, I find this quite disturbing and am at a loss to understand why it would happen.

We just have to love big business.

Comment

cakadu: I am going to contact our MP Leon Benoit to see what he has to say.

The live hog market has been in the dumpster for about two months already, the little guys are getting squeezed out...no doubt about it.

Comment

I agree. But try three yrs I sold feed to a hog barn three yrs ago and never got paid, they went bankrupt. The Sask. gov't answer was to invest in the barns.

I can't for the life of me figure out why our fuel, fert and chemicals are cheaper in the States when they are shipped from here.

Try go to the store and find anything made in Canada. Packaged or "imported for" yes but "origanal" product of. Good luck.

Comment

There's something VERY screwy about pork prices right now when US producers are getting almost 50% more per hog than Canadian producers, some of whom are selling to the same processing plants.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...