• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

War in Iraq

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

War in Iraq

I am surprised this topic is not coming up at this site.

I am not writing this to get in arguements over whether the U.S.A. should be in Iraq or not but rather to see what we all feel on how it will effect us.

I am worried that as Canadians we are not supporting the Americains enough. Forget what Chretien says. What about things like booing the Americain anthem at the NHL game the other night. If you watch some of these demonstrations around the world they are getting violent and distrupting.

I think some people only look at the horror of war at this moment not the realization that the United States and other countries are trying to rid the world of a evil dictator. Yes innocent people will die, and that is a shame. It was not that many years ago a certain dictator tried to control the world. What would this country and much of Europe be today had countries like ours and the U.S. not gotten involved.

By now you will have gotten the idea that I support action against Iraq. You are right! We must do what ever it takes to rid the world of Suddam. I do not believe at all that he does not have weapons of mass distruction. And even if he does not have them now, if we leave him alone he will someday have them again.

Try telling the relatives of the dead from 9/11 not to have fear. If we wait he and others like him will be on our doorstep. Then we as Canadians and Americains will be fighting the battles on our ground. It will be our innocent dead.

Muttley: I agree with you on this war. But I'll bet my friend henbent is far to the left on this one. Protesters love to see the continued tyrany in Iraq and the suffering of its people at the hand of Saddam. The do gooders don't know what it is like to live under the threat of terrorism. Terrorism is a real threat to you and me daily and it looks like we have run out of any alternative ways to stop it. Go Bush Go Ralgh go for freedom, peace and democracy for all.

Comment

muttley, kernel, Saddam, is a bad guy and has got to go there's no doubt about it. But the method of getting rid of him is what people question. War is the last resort. There is no doubt about the outcome, the US will prevail. But at what cost? Iraq will be wrecked and lots of people dead on both sides. I guess the US wins, if the good ole boys can get their hands on some of that sweet crude. Maybe the UN will cease to exist and America can become the world's policeman, boy that would Su-k big time.

Comment

Why do people assume President Bush only wants the oil. He is a wealthy man who is president of the worlds super power. He has what ever he wants.

Have you ever thought that just maybe he is sick of this thorn in the worlds butt. A man who is using children as shields. He is a evil dictator.

Should we wait till he uses some sort of weapon on us in the future before we do something about it. Maybe people like him need to blow up more towers before it's O.K. to kill him, and do not think for a second he did not have knowledge of 9/11 before it happened.

I keep hearing "there must be a better way". What would that be? I see he didn't leave Iraq with 48 hours notice.

Comment

I think if 911 happened only 6 months ago, the general attitudes would be somewhat different. We don't have to agree with the way things unfolded, but booing the American Anthem at a hockey game I find very discussing and rude. And our politicians choose of words was/is terrible. There is a very difference of opinion country wide. It was reported that the US does a Million dollars worth of trade every MINUTE of every day with Canada. If we get too ingorant and the US decides to trade elsewhere, We will indeed feel major effects. They are our next door neighbours,whether we like it or not We hold a beebee gun while they have radar guided missels. France had millions of dollars worth of contracts in place for the Iracy oil. Oil is not the issue. A man who viciously tortures,and kills his own people by the thousands, uses Women and child for his army to hide behind, is a huge threat to human life. Its just to bad the Americans didn't completely finish the job in 1991. My heart goes out to all the soldiers and their families, because I'm sure no one really wants to be engaged in war.

Comment

Very good points Junebug. War is the last resort, and I believe we have gotten there!!!!!

Comment

Junebug, War seems to be the only vision that Bus- has. Look at their economy and social structure. The rich get richer the poor get poorer. A trickle down economy. What next? We don't even know if Bus- is really the President, didn't bother to count the ballots, yet he leads them into war. I'll bet the vast majority of Yanks don't even know or care where Iraq is, lots of them don't know where Canada is. War kills, innocent, men, women and children it wrecks countries. Now I agree that Saddam is BAD man. Bus- is now the bully on the block, Iraq today. Who is next on the agenda, N Korea, Cuba, France, or maybe Canada with its evil CWB or bad forestry policy? George Bus- is a weasel and a dangerous one, he is taking advice from his pals in Texass, where they have a, he needed killing law for gosh sakes! Weapons of mass destruction. The US is the only nation on the planet to date, that has ever nuked anybody, twice. Where does this leave the UN? Now let's see, we have a WAR ON DRUGS, (US biggest consumer)a WAR ON TERROR, now a REAL WAR, yeah the Bus- agenda is right on course! God Help America.

Comment

I wonder how many Canadians know what actually exists at the other end of Canada ( so don't blame Americans for not knowing what exists in Canada sometimes. ) As for the U.S being a bully... face it, its the land of the free. You want to give up some freedom ?

I feel its unfortunate that history is so easily forgotten at times but without the United States of America, just what kind of life do you think you would have today ? Seriously !!

Oh sure , there are the economic problems of dealing with them at times, but I would feel bad to point fingers at them because without them... I would probably have to fight. Like it or not, this is the world we live in... there are no do - overs . And does anyone realistically think the world will all hold hands and kiss any time soon ?

Its freedom that allows each of us to have the opportunity to be heard in a forum like this. Thanks for listening.

Comment

Hats off to the Americans.They figured out what needed doing and got their butts over there and are doing it.Maybe this brown nosing country can look to the south and take a few lessons.

Actually....

I'm hoping Canada is next in line for a good ole' U S of A enforced regime change...

Comment

I am very interested in this discussion and don't intend to have all the answers or even pretend to be that smart but I have one point to add to the discussion. If you watch the ongoing coverage of the war at times it almost seems to be a big game that is being played to entertain everybody. In fact if it wasn't real people fighting and dying you would almost think it was a saga created for tv. Darn I got off the subject,sorry, I set out to remind everybody how in the original gulf war that Bush senior didn't finish the job and stopped before he finished the dictator off. This caused untold suffering to a bunch of the Iraquis that rose up to fight Suddam Hussan then, in fact there was almost a whole generation of people that were exterminated for their opposition. That one fact is causing the americans nothing but trouble in southern Iraq right now. The next thing because the job wasn't finished off that time by the americans the arabs as a whole seem to think that is a sign of weakness on their part and I think that is costing them dearly as well. I support them in what they are doing but they are going to have nothing but trouble finishing this thing off. Hope I am wrong but I just have this feeling. Hope that you all will be able to remind me soon how wrong I was.

Comment

From an American: Read with interest the thread of discussions relating to the U.S. role in Iraq. Some protesting may lose sight of these facts1)chem or bio weapons are probably going to be discovered;(2)some have probably already been passed on to terrorist groups ("any enemy of mine...");(3)one independent terrorist group tied to alQaida has been blasted out of northern Iraq;(4)Saddam's oil revenues have gone to purchase Russian/French/Chinese items prohibited by the UN for 12 years (so much for the "just use sanctions and keep him in check..." arguement).If sanctions and inspections had worked, why are Russian military items/French parts being found almost daily on the ground?(4)Upon request, our President (and most all Americans, including this one)would (I'm sure) provide any assistance that might be necessary, if asked, by the Canadian peoples/government, should any type of disaster occur on Canadian soil (which we seriously would not want to occur);(5)the only soil kept by Americans in previous wars, was the soil used to bury American, Canadian, Australian, British, etc. troops who had fallen in those countries during times of oppression.(6)the U.S. didn't bomb Pearl Harbor, the Japanese did.Question for the anti-war protestors:would you go hunting a predator bear with a willow switch? (7)The American farmers and ranchers that I know would not publicly embarass a Canadian or "boo" at your National Anthem.We might sit in a kitchen, and argue politics/war/etc.But then,that's the American (and Canadian) way, isn't it? Peace to Canada.

Comment

Someone above called Bush a weasel. Let's go through a little exercise here. Who would you rather have as the leader of your nation? Saddam? Cretien? That guy in France? The Russian President? Sounds like a lot of BAD people, or in the case of some, people who DON'T stand up for what they believe in. I, personally, wish Bush et. all the very best. Too bad our own leader tells us what to think and how to act all the time and then blames it on us when repercussions occur, as I am sure they will this time also.

Comment

Couple of points I'd like to make...
                          #1. If this really was about oil, the yanks have a large supply of oil just north of them that also is desparately in need of a regime change.
                          #2. Keep in mind the same idiots in Montreal that booed the American national anthem are the very same ones that did the same for the Canadian anthem not so long ago.

For those of you who may not agree with the idiotic comments of our "leader", you may wish to visit a web site ( www.wesupporttheusa.ca ) petition which will be forwarded to the PM's office and the Whitehouse.

Give `em hell, yanks! And safe return soon!

Comment

Good points flatbroke and nice to see you back.
                            Although I think many Canadians, myself included, were uneasy about the USA proceeding without the backing of the UN, that does not mean that the American forces do not have our support and sympathy. Unfortunately that isn't a lot of tangible help when they need it.

Comment

Guess what, Vice President Dick Cheney's company Haliburton just got a HUGE contract to reconstruct Iraq's oil fields and pipelines. US weapon of mass destruction GREED!! Wild weasels at work.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.