• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

War in Iraq

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, Here's the Plan.....

1) The US will apologize to the world for our "interference " in their affairs, past & present. You know, Hitler, Mussolini and the rest of them good old boys'. We will never "interfere" again.

2) We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with
    Germany, South Korea and the Philippines.
    They don't want us there. We would station troops at our borders. No
    more sneaking through holes in the fence.

3) All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and
    leave. We'll give them a free trip home. After 90 days the remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of who or where
    they are. France would welcome them.

4) All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90
    days unless given a special permit. No one from a terrorist nation would be allowed in. If you don't like it there, change it yourself. Don't hide here. Asylum would not ever be available to anyone. We don't need any more cab drivers.

5) No "students" over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don't attend classes, they get a "D" and it's back home, baby.

6) The US will make a strong effort to become self sufficient energy wise. This will include developing non polluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while.

7) Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don't like it, we go someplace else.

8) If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we
    will not "interfere". They can pray to Allah or whomever, for seeds, rain,
    cement or whatever they need. Besides, most of what we give them is stolen or given to the army. The people who need it most get very little, if any anyway.

9) Ship the UN Headquarters to an island some place. We don't need the spies and fair weather friends here.
    Besides, it would make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.

10) All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us "Ugly Americans" any longer.

Now, ain't that a winner of a plan!!!

Comment

We, our family, are presently reading "The Diary of Anne Frank", and I can't help but think of how many Iraqi girls or boys from the past, or present could have the same type of basic story about their life. It is a very sobering reminder of the regime of someone else who had similar ideas to the leader of Iraq - Adolf Hitler. It also makes me "angry" thinking of those "weasels" of that time, FDR, Churchill and others.
      Good Luck, our U.S. neighbors, and may God Bless you for your humanitarian efforts, even though they may also have some other motives as well.

Comment

I'll go for your plan any old time. It makes the most scense of all. I wonder what the do gooders would bitch about then.

Comment

Blessed indeed are the peacemakers, Blessed enjoying enviable happiness, spirtually prosperous that is , with life joy and satisfaction in God's favour and salvation, regardless of their outward conditions are the makers and maintainers of peace, for they shall be called the sons of God (Mathew 5:9).
          US Airborne motto; Kill them all, let God sort them out. Yeah go gettem boys, just like Vet nam same guys at the helm!

Comment

Maybe some of you against the war should just phone up Saddam and have a little talk with him. I'm sure he will listen. I mean he is a fair man, he is very supportive of his army. Just look at the way he puts civilians in front of them to protect them. Look at the nice way in which he dresses his men in civilian clothes so that they can blend in with the general population (and kill more of us). His support of the car demolotion program speaks for itself(park close and blow up your enemy)

We can only protect the innocent people of Iraq so long. When his tatics are terrorism we will have no other choice but to destroy the country. Better to have 100 of them die neadlessly than 1 of ours!!!

Comment

Now, before you start dissing me, let me say that I wholeheartedly agree that we cannot have people like Saddam ruling countries or able to have power over anyone. Let's look beyond the short term for the moment, and just to play devil's advocate, ponder on the following:

What happens if the coalition does not get Saddam?

What if there is someone as bad, if not worse, than Saddam that steps up next?

How do you suppose getting rid of Saddam is going to fix all the problems of the Iraqi people, much less the turmoil and problems that there have been in the Middle East for as far back as we can remember?

How sincere are we in supporting the Americans, if and only if we are doing it to avoid economic sanctions or boycotts in the future?

If the coalition is going after terrorism and/or evil people, what about what has happened in the Sudan for the past several years? That is just as horrible as there is genocide going on there every day. The problems there stem somewhat from sanctions that were placed against the Sudan for not supporting the gulf war.

Part of what is happening to the Iraqi people - starvation, lack of food and water, derives from sanctions that have been placed on them.

What about the fact that this may not be the end, but the beginning for people who have long memories, hatred of the West and no conscience at all about doing what they feel they need to in order to make their point?

What about the fact that Canada has stood alongside the U.S. in many battles, most recently Afghanistan? To quote a phrase that my mother used many times.... if so and so jumped off a bridge - would you jump too? Again I ask, if we are just doing it to avoid getting penalized by the U.S. somehow, then how sincere are we about getting into the war?

What about the fact that Canada could still play a role in this - perhaps one that is along the lines of helping the people to adjust to life without Saddam?

I'm not sure how to feel about all of this. All I know is that we have to look beyond the next few weeks.

Comment

I wonder how much of the difference in opinions amoung Canadians, and American for that matter, is purely philosophical, and how much is the result making decisions based on differing information.
                Anyone who didn't see the March 26th edition of The Fift Estate, might like to have a look here.
                http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/kurds/index.html
                Also, to better understand the real motivation of the current US administration it is worth doing a little reading here.
                http://www.newamericancentury.org/

Comment

There is certainly propaganda from all sides in this war and I just hope the powers that be got it right.
                  I think Iraq was chosen not because of any oil weapons or civil rights atrocities but because it was seen as a war that could be WON!
                  Shock and awe was not for Iraq but N.Korea Iran etc.
                  I just hope 6months messing about with UN has not given Saddam too much time to prepare

Comment

I guess the other thing that really gets my head scratching is are those who feel that if you aren't behind this "war" then you have to be for Saddam. Nothing is ever that black and white and I think that it is safe to say that one can be against war but not for the other, in this case for Saddam. There aren't too many that would want to see him stay in power and I'm sure that goes for those that do not think we should be in this war.

Can someone explain this logic to me - if you aren't for one, then you're automatically for the other?

Comment

I'd say that there are 2 things that all of us, regardless of our stance on this issue, can agree on 100%

#1. Nobody is on Hussein's side.
                      #2. Nobody WANTS to be fighting a war.
                      However...
                      This clown had 12 years to comply with UN resolutions following the Gulf war, and showed no interest in doing so. He is known to have funded terrorists worldwide (including el-quaida)and sold food traded for oil meant for Iraqi citizens to fund his military. If we could have gone back to 1938 and Removed Hitler BEFORE his attempted genocide on the Jews, as well as the hundreds of thousands of allied soldiers killed in the war, would we have been justified? I mean, sure he was violating the terms of the armistice by building up Germany's military, but he hadn't invaded anybody yet, right? At any rate, it's safe to say he'd have stopped once Britain had fallen, so maybe we had no business over there...
                      You see where I'm going with this. It was a noble cause then, and I really do believe it is a noble cause this time.Neither PM Blair nor Pres. Bush will gain any popularity by this action, in fact I guarantee it will decrease with every coalition casualty, a fact both men are very aware of. The irony is that if a pre-emptive strike is successful, we'll never know just how neccessary it really was.

Comment

henbent,

Quote "Guess what, Vice President Dick Cheney's company Haliburton just got a HUGE contract to reconstruct Iraq's oil fields and pipelines. US weapon of mass destruction GREED!! Wild weasels at work. "

You erred. You should have stated "Former company". VP Dick Cheney sold his Haliburton shares in August 2000. Want to retract your statement?

Comment

So what if a few high profile American politicians get some contracts to help build Iraq.

I'm sure when they give out the contract for the "Saddam Memeorial Golf Course" that our very own Jean Crutchin will be at the top of the list!!!!

Comment

Hindsight is a great thing and I wonder what would have happened if there had been intervention prior to the second world war.

We have to put things into perspective though - we weren't right there in the tanks and on the battlefields the way we are today. We had to rely on military reports given to the media for our news about the war going on over in Europe. It wasn't until the Vietnam war that we were all subjected to the horros and atrocities of war on a somewhat more firsthand basis.

One also has to consider that the Americans didn't enter into the 2nd world war until AFTER the bombing at Pearl Harbor - up until that time, they too didn't get involved and I suppose that it may have been in part due to the fact that we had no idea of what was happening over there.

I have to wonder if all the coverage isn't having somewhat of a numbing effect on us?

I still don't really know how to feel about it and I've heard a lot of arguments both for and against.

One more thing to ponder, will getting Saddam out of the way really end the problems over there? What if there is someone worse waiting in the wings?

I heard an interesting argument the other day and it does leave one thinking about it. Over here, as a rule, we don't need all family members to contribute to the overall income in order to get by - we did many years ago, but that pretty much has become less of a factor. We all know of families who had the major bread winner, in those days dad, pass away and then the whole family had to pitch in just to put food on the table.

Think about many of these developing countries where that is still very much the norm. These suicide bombers get enticed into doing their missions because their families will be very well provided for. Now this person's argument was what would happen if you took away that incentive? I'm still trying to come to some sort of conclusion on that. What are your thoughts?

Comment

George W. Bush was elected because he knew all along he was going to invade Iraq. He's an oil man and oil men get fed up with OPEC. Invading Iraq and gaining control of the second largest reserve of oil in the world would take the stress off having to deal with OPEC.

Anybody who thinks Bush, Cheney, Powell (who was reluctant at first), Rice, Rumsfeld, Richard Perle and Paul Wolfowitz have any humanitarian desire to "free" the Iraqi people and install a democracy, has forgotten the United States history in central and south america starting from back in the 60s.

Richard Perle (who is currently a consultant to the Secretary of Defense and Consultant to several U.S. and multinational companies and who once advised Binjamin Netanyahu to abandon the Oslo Peace Process and return to military repression of the Palestinians) and Paul Wolfowitz, Deputy Secretary of Defense who has longed to see the Middle East colonized by the United States, are scary people. Vice President Cheney was Bush Sr's defense secretary. In 1969 Cheney was special assistant to Donald Rumsfeld in the Nixon administration (remember that crook?)

This old boys club is thick as thieves, they hate dissent and free speech, they'll support the American arms manufacturing industry till their dying day, and they are bankrupting the United States. I support the U.S. troops because I don't think they should be in Iraq and they should come home. Right now they are unwitting mercenaries for the American oil corporations.

I suppose they have to finish the job now, though, so those 500 Iraqi men, women and children who have been killed, didn't die in vain.

Comment

Anybody that thinks that they will actually ever successfully institute a democratic government in Iraq has been smoking way to much wacky tabacky. The demographics of that country are not condusive to democracy. Fifty percent of the population is under the age of 18 and with that high of a percentage of the population that young the odds are against any lasting government as we know it. It will end up being some sort of a US backed dictatorship being the only kind of government that can keep some sort of order in the country amongst the various tribes(for want of a better or more appropriate word Linda would know the proper term to describe those different peoples) And maybe that isn't all bad because we saw how bad the last regime was.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...