• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dieing like the industry

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dieing like the industry

Is the Agriville beef forum dieing like the industry or is everyone planning a trip to Phoenix with our 164 million dollar gift from George?

How about a preview of my ABP candidate speech. May have to wrestle good old Diane for the mike after the first three minutes that is supposed to be in the rule book. Mommy said it took me five to spew it out. 70 word Rules were bent in the ABP annual report for almost every other person running ----and to think I followed the rules for that.

My name is Randy Kaiser and I am one of the founding members of Beef Initiative Group Canada. BIG C is an organization that traveled across western Canada in front of thousands of producers, three and a half years ago when this B.S. Economic crisis first began. Our presentations included some genuine alternative solutions and a lot of listening to primary producers suggestions.

As always Beef Initiative Group believes that it is time for the producers of this country to create our own solutions, manifest our own destiny and take back control of our industry.

I would like to make one or two quick points about our current situation before I offer some solutions that myself and the other members of BIG C believe will help us out of the current tailspin we find ourselves in.

- Streamlining a product to fit a generic need never produces profit for a supplier. The company doing the streamlining will always find the lowest priced supplier and in the case of multinational companies that amounts to some pretty low input, poverty based suppliers all over the world.

- We cannot deny the motives of any multinational company to create profits for shareholders or family. Searching the world for the lowest priced supply has meant the success of businesses like Walmart or even MacDonald’s. This search and ultimate agreement has left the suppliers in the very parts of the world that spawned these companies high and dry in every case.

- Companies like this have no interest in identifying their product as unique to a country of origin or even recognizing the supplier. Take the battle in the USA right now over Country of Origin Labeling. The lines are drawn between the multinational packers and producers.

- If we want our beef to be unique and special, which is a proven economic recipe for added value, we will have to accomplish this on our own.

- The solution to the faltering Canadian Beef Industry is to encourage diversity. Brand our wonderful Canadian Beef product unique to the world.

- Canada already has a number of advantages over the rest of the world.

1). A free and open politically democratic environment that allows it’s citizens to explore and move ahead with moral and honest solutions to problems. (That is as long as we can reign in the CFIA.)

2). A genetically superior Beef cow herd, mainly of the Bos Taurus variety, renowned the world over for it’s tender and tasty carcass. A cowherd supported by a determined and professional purebred industry dedicated to meeting the demands of a conscientious and aware consumer.

3). A climatic environment agreeable to fattening livestock that are housed out doors and intolerant of problems like foot and mouth disease which plague more temperate parts of the world.

4). A huge land base with an abundance of grass, stored forage and bi products of the cereal grain or bio-fuel markets.

Four advantages and four reasons why Canada will continue to be a place that makes sense to raise beef protein for consumers here at home and export that beef around the world.

The advantages that we are not using are even more due to our relentless desire to streamline our product for the multinational companies rather than encourage and support diversity and brand our Canadian product as unique.

BSE testing would set our country apart - period. No more games. No more reason for B.S. Economic sanctions. A lineup of new customers including customers in the USA who some will argue would shun our move toward testing. I would like to see the USDA challenge the importation of BSE tested beef in to the USA in front of the World Trade Organization. The Americans are already seen as a manipulating bully when it comes to food trade by most of the free world.

Passing legislation toward acceptance of BSE testing for marketing purposes would only be the beginning of course as we would then have to first ask, and then press the current packing industry in this country to test. This is our country after all and we - producers - consumers - and politicians alike make the laws. If the multinational companies want to continue to show there disdain for Country of Origin identification or brand identity, they may have to play the card they have been threatening us with lately and leave. Just the same as the Oil companies that are threatening to leave if we increase our royalty rates. Fat Chance. And if they do - we will finally be free to start this industry up again under our own control - producer owned control - producer directed control, and control with the best interest of the producer in mind.

I would love to share even more thoughts about removing hormonal implants for marketing purposes, - the New Zealand producer owned packing story - or the story of the pork industry in Denmark, - and thoughts about producer ownership here at home, however my three minutes is likely up. I am not going to beg for your vote, but I am certainly asking that you look at the alternatives that myself and Beef Initiative Group bring forward and keep searching for more yourselves. We are not only responsible for where we are in the industry right now, we are responsible for where it will be twenty years from now as well.

reply to rkaiser ,tremendous news letter
    about dieing beef industry !i like to make some short comments .
    trip,s from george as a gift to who ?
    randy nice to read you have time for
    a b p , would refundable chekoff be more interested to our free enterprice
    beef buseniss .
    you talking of superior cow [bos taurus variety hope my spelling is o-k never of it i am old cattle man never went to school in this country sorry randy
    i do agree dump the hormones and europe is telling us than we take you beef .
    i am no r-calf at all but [cool] like it or not is coming in time.brand our beef you telling us yes we have the

best lean beef so COOL tells the world trade
    b-s e testing on all cattle is the way to go me be a b p work on who is paying for.yes get things done randy over the years cattle business have been good thanks to our rich pay out in alberta.
    and many thanks for your good work for our big abp check off on our feedlot cattle .

Comment

You must have got that good looking wife to write that there Kaiser-- as its too intelligent to fit your grizzly old hide...

ATTA BOY rkaiser-- go get them....

Comment

Two points
        #1 does anyone have any info on this new 164 handout ?
        #2 Randy wouldn,t a refundable checkoff be the best answer for ABP?

Comment

Should be able to find the 164 dollar question answered by most any government employee victoire.

I would personally like to see a directional levy rather than a refundable one. Still think producers need leadership and there are some hard working groups out there like the Alberta Feeders Association and others who will certainly need financial assistance once ABP is cut back.

I will be making some changes to that speech before I let er rip at the zone meetings. I do have a lot of respect for our Zone rep, and don't want to make her job any harder. There are major changes on the horizon for ABP this fall and it will be a very good year for producers who have been staying home to come out and join in.

Thanks for your comments jerryk and Oldtimer. I have told you a million times Oldtimer - if it was not for your cherry picking BSE crap and our differences concerning the border and cattle prices - I would carry an Rcalf card. Your NCBA is as lost as our CCA at the moment and need some shaking up.

Comment

Should be able to find the 164 dollar question answered by most any government employee victoire.

I would personally like to see a directional levy rather than a refundable one. Still think producers need leadership and there are some hard working groups out there like the Alberta Feeders Association and others who will certainly need financial assistance once ABP is cut back.

I will be making some changes to that speech before I let er rip at the zone meetings. I do have a lot of respect for our Zone rep, and don't want to make her job any harder. There are major changes on the horizon for ABP this fall and it will be a very good year for producers who have been staying home to come out and join in.

Thanks for your comments jerryk and Oldtimer. I have told you a million times Oldtimer - if it was not for your cherry picking BSE crap and our differences concerning the border and cattle prices - I would carry an Rcalf card. Your NCBA is as lost as our CCA at the moment and need some shaking up.

Comment

Sorry for doubling up.

Alberta Farm Recovery Plan will help bridge to a long-term solution

Edmonton... Alberta producers will receive $165 million in transitional assistance to help offset rising costs facing the livestock sector.

The new Alberta Farm Recovery Plan (AFRP) will address the economic strain brought on by the rising costs of fuel, feed and fertilizer.
              “The Alberta Farm Recovery Plan will provide transitional, short-term assistance primarily to the livestock sector at the producer level to help adjust to these economic challenges,” said George Groeneveld, Minister of Alberta Agriculture and Food. “The Government of Alberta will continue to work with and support our producers and this plan is only a temporary bridge to a long-term, more sustainable solution. Our expectation is that industry will develop their own long-term transformation plan for establishing profitability and revitalization in the agriculture sector.”

Delivery of the Alberta Farm Recovery Plan will commence early November, with an expected completion date in early 2008 for all eligible producers. Payments will be based on the 2006 Canadian Agricultural Income Stabilization (CAIS) program information. For producers who are in the CAIS program, the calculations will be automatic and they will not need to submit an application. Producers who do not participate in CAIS will have until December 31, 2007 to apply. Complete program details will be made available to producers shortly.

The Alberta Farm Recovery Plan is part of Premier Ed Stelmach’s plan to build a strong Alberta. Other priorities for the government are to govern with integrity and transparency, manage growth pressures, and improve Albertans’ quality of life.

-30-
              Media enquiries may be directed to:

Alberta Ag Media Line
              780-422-1005
              Vicki Chapman, Customer Service Manager Canadian Income Stabilization Program
              403-782-0193

To call toll free within Alberta dial 310-0000.

Comment

...well from the guys i talk to...many are seriously considering selling their cows and converting back to grain farming...it takes a lot of capital to grain farm...so it will be interesting how it all unfolds...as for a dieing industry it doesn't take rocket science to figure out 80 cent fats don't cover the bills...so personally i have no problem of that producer checkoff money going to buy out one those poor packing plant...but of course if it wasn't for our abp we would all be doomed already right...

Comment

Do you think Alberta will adopt us poor folk in Manitoba????

I'm afraid Rosie and her NDP overlords aren't so kind an caring. Sometimes I think they'd just like everyone living outside Winnipeg to pack up and disappear.

OH yea .... Randy for Prime Minister! Rattle some chains. That's how things get done.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...
                  X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                  You agree to our and by clicking I agree.