• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Verified Beef Production

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Verified Beef Production

Has anyone taken the VBP course?
    I took the workshop portion yesterday and it was quite good. If we choose to be on the program, we would submit to a future 3rd party audit (for a fee), so that is pretty dependent on whether or not I can add value to my product by doing it.
    anyone else have any experience with this? They have streamlined the program from the previous version.

Was hoping to make the trip yesterday but the weather is far too nice lately to leave some of those "get set for winter" jobs. Trying to get a meeting set for a little closer to home. How was the turn out Sean? I would say that this is one program that we could all use as we become more and more survival dependent on our ability to retain ownership and market our own beef.

Comment

The course was ok. about 5 producers and quite a few students that can qualify for their operations.
      I think that a lot of producers will be interested in the course. I doubt many will go through with the audit process as it is a cost with no apparent benefit for many.
      It was interesting to hear how little support ABP has provided the program.

Comment

Something that could potentially benefit producers, and ABP won't support it? What??!! I've never heard of such a thing!!!!!

Comment

I am not sure how the average producer would recuperate the $500 audit cost.
          I don't know whether the traditional sell at the auction in the fall approach can really capture the value out of the program.

Comment

$500.00 ?? Wow!

Hog producers here in Manitoba have a quality assurance program that involves audits, but they usually run around a hundred dollars. Basically whatever their vet charges per hour times how long it takes.

I'm planning on attending a meeting on Monday, so I guess I'll see for myself. I would think that even if a person didn't follow through to the audit phase, the education is still a good thing. Proper medication use and withdrawal times are something we all need to know.

Comment

Hi Sean,I think that besides benefitting the industry as a whole in supporting our export markets, that one of the best ways to get pay back from the VBP program is through retained ownership and marketing either; direct to consumers, or through a branded beef value chain.

Comment

I think that is right. I think everyone could learn from the workshop, even if it creates top of mind awareness about issues. The record keeping component is also quite valuable. I know for us there are basically only two or three very small changes from what we do now, and currently we record more than what the program requires.
                We are moving into a position where we can extract value from certification (retained ownership, etc.) however I doubt that most guys are going to change the way they do business enough to see the benefits. Even if we are not fully retained ownership yet, we are still going to promote that we are on the program when we are finally certified and we send calves. I will be interested to see if the traditional market pays a premium at all.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...
                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.