• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unelected meddler

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unelected meddler

Sack Stelmach
    The Alberta Premier's foolish oil-royalty hike will hurt thousands of industry employees

Lyle Dunkley And Ezra Levant
    Financial Post

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

CREDIT: Ed Kaiser, CanWest News Service
    ED STELMACH: The disaster of weak leadership.

Ed Stelmach and Stephane Dion are the unwanted leaders of their parties, each accidentally elected on the same day last December. Both are now proving, at great cost, that the naive romance of electing an unready amateur soon gives way to the disaster of weak leadership.

The federal Liberals are imploding -- but Dion's mess doesn't hurt the country, only his own party. That cannot be said for Stelmach. True, he has lopped more than 20% off the support the Alberta PCs polled under Ralph Klein, and lost Klein's old seat in a byelection to boot. But that is nothing more than fodder for the political chattering classes. What matters -- what makes Stelmach dangerous, whereas Dion is just pitiful -- is that Stelmach actually runs the Alberta government.

Stelmach has had 10 months to legitimize the PC party's private leadership vote by calling a general election. That he has refused to do so -- and is getting away with it -- is an indictment of Alberta's weak culture of political accountability, atrophied after 36 years of one-party rule. The unofficial motto of the Alberta PCs is that of France's Louis XIV: "L'etat, c'est moi."

If Albertans in general had made the same mistake as the PC party did in voting for Stelmach, his proposed new $2-billion oil and gas royalty increase would be no less foolish, but it would have the veneer of democracy to it. Or if that tax had been proposed by the PC party in the last election under Klein, then even unelected Stelmach could claim a mandate to impose it.

But Stelmach has neither of these democratic fig leaves. And so an unelected Alberta Premier is about to impose a punitive new tax on Alberta's key industry, without the trifle of public consent. Even King Ralph wouldn't have been so presumptuous.

The rationale for this tax hike can be nothing but envy: The provincial government's annual surplus exceeds $8-billion, despite spending more per capita than any other province. This is a jealous ambush of the oil and gas industry -- killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

Good luck with that. There is no industry more mobile than the oil industry, with operations on every continent. Other than the immoveable oilsands -- where new investments will be mothballed -- it's all at risk, especially the money. We know that from the National Energy Program, when the world's capital markets bolted Pierre Trudeau's ambush taxes. Alberta's unemployment rate skyrocketed from 3.9% in 1981 to 11% in 1983. Housing starts in Calgary fell from 15,000 in 1980 to 2,000 in 1983. The $13-billion Alsands project was mothballed, as was the $12-billion Cold Lake heavy oil project. There was a 10-mile-long line of drilling rigs waiting to cross over the border into the United States.

Will this happen again? EnCana announced that it will scale back its investments in Alberta by $1-billion next year because of Stelmach's announcement, and Talisman said it would pull back $500-million. Crescent Point Energy said it will move $150-million of drilling money from Alberta to Saskatchewan. When entrepreneurs move from Alberta to NDP Saskatchewan, it's time to be concerned.

It's not just the substance of the tax threat that has spooked them, it's the tone -- the demonization of the oilpatch, the rhetoric of envy that colours the government.

Stelmach's hand-picked panel that proposed the tax hikes didn't end its job with its report -- it has since gone on a political campaign. Panel chair Bill Hunter dismissed concerns about making the energy industry uneconomic, telling oil and gas companies to "leave it in the damn ground." Pedro van Meur, the panel's hired "expert," told reporters that warnings from EnCana and others are "all part of the game."

To Stelmach and his court, it might all seem like a game. Publicly traded companies with billions of dollars in investments don't play games -- they minimize their risks, and when they make statements about shareholders' money, statements that move stock prices, they mean it. It's not a game to thousands of En-Cana and Talisman and Crescent Point employees and suppliers and countless others from auto dealers to restaurateurs who will be affected, too.

Loyal Liberals are working overtime at saving their party by sacking Dion. Forget about politics: Are there any grown-ups in the PC party working to save Alberta's -- and Canada's -- economic engine?

Yea, we need Ralphie back so he can fire sale our resources...tax breaks when not needed to pay back party cronies (oilsands/Peter Elzinga) and light the fire under a already good economy so as people can't afford to live in booming Luh Luh Land....oh, right....I don't think Ralph will take the pay cut from all the boards he now sits on for payback...too bad.

Comment

EZRA Levant please........the man can't even keep his own business running, don't think he needs to be offering any advice these days.

Comment

I would hope that Premier Stelmach would follow the recommendations of the panel re: reform of the royalties on oil and natural gas...to the letter.

I would go even farther and recommend an annual unbiased review of royalties. The oil companies have royally ripped us off with the Alberta government being complicit in every aspect as they have shirked their responsibiliies all along. The energy dep't admits that they have NO idea how much money is owed or IF we have received what was appropriate. A very poor audit trail means possible abuse in my opinion.

When it comes to business, the rule is...TRUST NO ONE.

Ezra Levant must be looking for a new sugar daddy or he wouldn't be writing this kind of garbage. A good Harper man...perhaps he could work full time for the CONs now that his "Western Standard" is kaput.

Comment

Folks like Ezra Levant are a dime a dozen. I have every confidence that Ed Stelmach will announce a fair, equitable solution to the royalty issue. Companies are currently trying every scare tactic they can, getting their employees to write to everyone and anyone that has email or can read for that matter. Apparently a march on the Alberta Legislature is even in the works. I told both my sons that if I turned on the news and saw either of them waving some damn placard at the Leg., I would both kick their collective butts and disinherit them !!!

I really feel sorry for oil companies when I re-negotiate leases. Particularly Talisman, when they had the gall to try and claw back my lease payment the fall after BSE was found in AB.

Comment

Interesting...NDPer's and and Liberals defending a Liberal who is leading a "conservative" government!!

Men of principle every where you look?? Not!

The following is what the artical is about...but you all ignor the valid points made.

"Stelmach has had 10 months to legitimize the PC party's private leadership vote by calling a general election. That he has refused to do so -- and is getting away with it -- is an indictment of Alberta's weak culture of political accountability, atrophied after 36 years of one-party rule. The unofficial motto of the Alberta PCs is that of France's Louis XIV: "L'etat, c'est moi."

If Albertans in general had made the same mistake as the PC party did in voting for Stelmach, his proposed new $2-billion oil and gas royalty increase would be no less foolish, but it would have the veneer of democracy to it. Or if that tax had been proposed by the PC party in the last election under Klein, then even unelected Stelmach could claim a mandate to impose it.

But Stelmach has neither of these democratic fig leaves. And so an unelected Alberta Premier is about to impose a punitive new tax on Alberta's key industry, without the trifle of public consent. Even King Ralph wouldn't have been so presumptuous.

Comment

Ivbinconned...If you saw the way that the oil companies profited from the current royalty SCHEME, you would barf. They have been robbing US blind for years already.

We read the article...we UNDERSTAND perfectly what it said. It is what it didn't say that people should judge this by. The current royalty scheme was set up for $11 barrel oil...it now sells for over $80 a barrel. Man, you should ashamed to defend the oil companies, given the present circumstances.

Comment

No Willy ...this is the point of the artical.

"foolish, but it would have the veneer of democracy to it. Or if that tax had been proposed by the PC party in the last election under Klein, then even unelected Stelmach could claim a mandate to impose it."

Where did I defend the oil companies??

Eddie does NOT have a mandate...that is the point!!!

And on THAT point Ezra should be your campion.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...