• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ontario Wheat Board CASH Prices

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ontario Wheat Board CASH Prices

Dear Craig;
    I see Ontario wheat growers prices posted and offered at Ontario Elevators by their
    OWPMB @
    http://www.ontariowheatboard.com/dailyprices.php

Hard Red Winter: Oct $7.19/bu
    Hard Red Spring: Oct $6.78/bu
    Soft Red Winter: Oct $6.98/bu
    Soft White Winter: Oct $7.19/bu

I understand the Ontario Elevators are out bidding the OWPMB and offering even higher prices!!

The CGC Eastern Hard Red Spring grades the OWPMB uses as standards are of MUCH LOWER quality that the CWRS 13.5 standard the CWB uses to quote our Fixed Price Contract and PRO. Same goes for our Select Winter Wheat grown in the “Designated Area”
    The $4.50 Discount on CWRS and $6/t on Winter wheat is a total insult when the prices quoted on the Fixed Price Contract by the CWB are lower than the PRO. and at least a buck a bushel below market value in the first place!

THis is CRIMINAL. The "Single Desk" at its best extracting a premium FROM "Designated Area" wheat and barley growers!

Liberals, NDP, and The Bloc want to fight inflation and keep domestic food prices down! The CWB does this for them!
    Benny Hin and Burbert… you don’t have to go to Great Britan to get $2/bu more… “Designated Area” wheat growers just need to be able to sell into Ontario!

Please explain to me why Ontario growers get free export Licenses from the CWB… without exception… and we are refused ours!

And cotton wonders why people go after agstar.

Great link Tom, thanks

Comment

August 23, 2007

Portland Price Trends as reported on DTN

#1 SWW (bu) $7.20
      White Club $7.30
      HRS 14% $7.29
      HRW 11.5% $7.39
      #2 Barley $212.00
      #2 Corn(ton)$171.00 Prices in US$

It isn't Just England and Ontario Benny/Burbert... ever wonder why low prices happen often to be in single desk countries like Australia and Canada?

Comment

The DTN price reports can be found on:http://www.webercommodities.com/index.cfm?show=801&id=0700B939&sort=6&cat=4

I guess I had better smarten up and get MY DTN internet renewal done!

Comment

Just wondering if there are any deductions from those posted Ontario prices?

Is that the in your pocket price?

Comment

CWB durum pro $ 9.01 for #1 14.5 protein at port.
            So just think if all you wisemen thru your western wheat growers assoc. hadn't lobbied to end the crow .....

We'd be getting $ 8.75 in our pockets

Comment

Mus,

1. The pro is not a guaranteed price.

2. Even if it was port prices are not in your pocket prices, you have to get it there.

3. When you work it back to your pocket that 9 bucks turns into $7.80 for Manitoba $7.59 for Sask and $7.66 for Alberta.

4. When I look across the Manitoba border to Bottineau, North Dakota the actual cash harvest price, now and not some guess into the future, it's $8.24 Canadian for what is probably a slightly lower spec Durum.

5. I would much rather get my returns from the marketplace than a subsidy like the crow, especially when the marketplace is providing it.

Comment

Franny you don't think the US Army corp of Engineers maintaining the Mississippi River ,dredging etc is a subsidy to grain producers ?

In 1984
                When I asked Byron Dorgan this question , he replied it was a subsidized waterway but the difference between Canadian railways and the Miss.River was that All goods that travel down the river are subsidized !!! How's that for a strange look at reality ?

By the way the I know the port price is the price at port and I still have to get it there. But it was 25 cents per bushel for freight when the crow was intact. before the Alberta gov't and like minded groups had their way so we could have a feedlot industry in southern alta

Comment

Fran has a good point Mustardman,
                  the crow is dead and gone, and thank god for the livestock industry in southern AB or else barley would be a niche crop by now.
                  Subsidies are not how I want to farm, if you produce a raw commodity that has no value until it is exported then you have to pay the price to get it there. As for the US, damn right they get their waterways subsidized heavily yet they also have the tax base and population to pay for it.
                  We need to encourage more value added processing here, thousands of container cars are going back empty, why not ship a some what processed commodity back in them?
                  It was not the AB government or WCWGA that killed the crow, it was at the begining a substaintial $$ to be despersed. Yet the Pools, CWB, NDP governments that fought over it for several years dimminishing the $$ to minimal 1.5 (?) billion. I at the time was a young farmer, renting most of my land at $ 50 -70/acre dollars. My landlords kept the money, there was no debate, either let them have it or lose the land. The values here in south central AB did not drop, and have rose steadily ever since.
                  We need agressive access to markets and marketers for all our commodities. And more value added here. I look forward to the biofuel industries that plan to build in my area.
                  Erik

Comment

Funny, I remember it was your good friend Ralph Goodale that held the axe.

Comment

MUSTARDMAN,

The Federal Government spent Billions building railways in western Canada, subsidied the Ports for millions upon millions, we have had our fair share of infrastructure subsidies in Canada. Our lower freight rate structure for rail cost of getting grain to port position is a direct reflection of this investment by the federal government. Then there is the rail hopper cars... the cap on rail revenues...

Ask the Ausies how much it costs to get grain to port position if it needs to be loaded on a railway... $20-25/t is a normal fee.

Here in Alberta for 3X the distance to port... it is only $35/t. Go to the US and see how more much it costs by rail to get to port from Montana $10-15/t...

So what is the value of wheat in Montana?

Montana (Great Falls) Dark Northern Spring Wheat #1 (13.5%): $235.50 /tonne (Canadian)

http://www.agric.gov.ab.ca/app21/grainprices

$6.41/bu... at Harvest... much lower quality than a CWRS 1 13.5.

The CWB has all the benefit of this lower cost transport system... and they still come up a dollar short and a day late! As the folks in southern Alberta who have not closed off the last CWB crop year yet... and they are nearly done this 2007 harvest already!

The CWB is vengeful and has a mean streak against us in Alberta, it would be hard for a reasonable person to argue any other point of view!

Comment

Yes it was the liberals who were in power at the time, Jean luc Pepin the minister,1982 I believe.
                        lots of lobbying day and nite by the railroads, the Alberta gov't also since they knew that the money they subsidized to get the livestock industry going with the St. Mary's irrigation would be for naught unless the crow was changed.
                        So the dismantling began under libs and continued under Conservatives until it was gone and instead of $.25 per bushel we pay $1.60 for frt. and handling. Plus the money to truck 50 miles to terminal and the extra taxes to patch up deteriorating roads.

Yes getting rid of the crow created cheap feed for the livestock industry and very very good profits for the railways

Comment

Tom you can rest assured our freight rates Will go Up
                          The railroad lobbyists are at work as we speak.
                          The gov't in power has looked the other on news that we were being overcharged by 300 % for maintainance on hopper cars that Steve wouldn't let us purchase. Or maybe they were just too busy trying to get rid of the wheat board to deal with any ag problems outside of their idealogical microscope.

Comment

Face it you CWB lovers, they are screwing you. Get rid of them high priced jobs ansd maybe farming will get back to being profitable again.

Comment

Mustardman,

In case you forgot;

Goodale ended the Crow in 1995 at about 10% of the pay out Charlie Mayer had attempted to negotiate.

A freight decrease was incorporated into our 2007 August 1 western Rail Cap to fix the Hopper Car Maint. issue.
                              The hopper cars were not sold to the railways... the gov. still owns them as it should be!

We have been treated fairly by the Conservatives... proposed changes comming up during this session of Parliament to the Rail system have met with general acceptance by most fair minded western grain producer groups.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...