• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Malting Wheat and Wheat Beer

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Malting Wheat and Wheat Beer

I saw a posting on Agri-ville regarding selling wheat for malt. Seems to me post was related to selling malt wheat to Robin Hood in Saskatoon. That got my curiosity up.

Here's what I was able to find out:

There are three malsters in western Canada that produce wheat malt. They are Prairie Malt in Bigger, Canada Malt in Calgary and Gambrinus in Armstrong, B.C. Rahr Malting at Alex doesn't produce it because the demand is so small. Some wheat malt is brought in from the U.S. in bags.

Soft White and CPS White wheats are most commonly used for malting. Soft white is preferred, likely because of the higher starch and lower protein content.

I talked to one of the brewers at Big Rock in Calgary. That person told me that in order to qualify as "wheat" beer, the malt must contain slightly more that 50% malted wheat with the remainder being barley malt. Turns out there are basically two types of wheat beer. The "German" kinds, called Hefeweizen, are cloudy beers because the yeast and wheat proteins are not filtered out. The "Canadian" wheat beers are a clear beer because they are filtered to remove the yeast and proteins.
    Wheat malt is very hard to make because wheat doesn't have barley's outer hull to protect the sprout. For that reason, it is a premium priced product because of the care that has to be taken to make it.

Well that's it, now I'm thirsty!

Comment

So, Fransisco, did you find one in the fridge or did you have to head out to the shop to find one? Was it Grasshopper?

Comment

Actually Lee, should be one of the Fort Garry products. Will be in Manitoba (actually Ontario as I was corrected) enjoying one of these products on a canoe trip in three days (not that I am counting).

Comment

I don't know if Fort Garry makes a wheat beer.

A couple of years ago I was on a Grasshopper kick thought it was pretty good. Saskatcheawan has a pretty good wheat beer as well that I've tried but I forget the brand.

Comment

I first tasted Fort Garry beer in Feb. - a dark ale or lager - can't remember which. I agree with Charlie. It was wonderful. Damn - drooling on my keyboard! www.fortgarry.com

I may get to taste it again. Found a 66 Meteor for sale near Winkler. Gotta check out the car - wonderful excuse for a Fort Garry Brewski.

Comment

It's called Fort Garry Dark. My personal favorite right now. Lots of flavour, not bitter at all and surprisingly light for a dark beer which is great for those nights when just a couple won't do it.

My old favourite was Big Rock's 'Magpie'. Boy I think it's been a couple of years since I've had one of those.

Comment

Let me know when you're in the area. If I have time maybe I can join you.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...