• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1800 acres of grass! John Deere rotaries keep on running

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1800 acres of grass! John Deere rotaries keep on running

John Deere rotaries keep on running

Glendale’s fleet of John Deere out-front rotaries based at Leeds could well be the hardest working mowers in the business. The national grounds management company is currently running eighteen 1445 (27hp) and 1545 (31hp) front mowers on a complex and highly intensive grass cutting contract with Leeds City Council Services, which covers a staggering 7.2 million square metres (nearly 1800 acres), cut once a fortnight from March to October.

Glendale was one of the first UK customers to buy the new 1400 Series mowers when they were launched in 2001, and has been using John Deere mowers in its fleet since the early 1990s.

All the Leeds based machines were delivered, by local dealer Bob Wild Grass Machinery, with Trimax flail decks and John Deere’s commercial 157cm (62in) Fastback rear discharge rotary decks. Throughout the season the mowers are serviced monthly; each deck receives a full blade change after every two cuts, and only genuine replacement parts from the dealer are used.

“The first two or three cuts of the year can be difficult, so we find it’s better to put the flails through first and then change to the rotary decks,” explains Glendale’s supervisor Lenny Greenwood. “This gives a more even quality finish across the season, as well as flexibility should weather conditions set off flushes in grass growth.”

With each machine working up to 1000 hours a year, a significant percentage of which is spent on the road, the mowers have understandably suffered a number of mechanical and structural problems. John Deere and Glendale have worked together to overcome these inherent difficulties, with a view to improving the product through ‘sharp-end’ customer feedback. This has involved changes to the oil cooler configuration and strengthening of the chassis, to cope with the arduous demands of modern day commercial grass cutting operations.

Glendale’s company engineer Angus Lindsay adds: “We have tried all the major makes of front rotary mower over the years, and have stuck with John Deere because they take a proactive and realistic approach to addressing product issues. We’re pleased with the response from the company and local dealer when we do experience a problem, as a realistic understanding of the demands placed on equipment in today’s environment benefits all parties in the development of future machinery.”

Just think Charlie, 1800ac once a week... globally... what is the C02 released from mowing all this grass!

How many millions of acres do we mow each week? and people complain about cow farts?

THis global warming thing... would we limit and reduce air travel, mowing our lawns... are we actually serious about this?

Time to go cut some Canola... Cheers!

The quick answer Tom is yes we have to limit air travel, cutting grass etc.

Actually at least the grass takes in CO2 so its probably an offset.
    But there are people out there saying air travel has to be done only if absolutely necessary. So instead of visiting the sister in Australia 2 times per year go every other year and stay twice as long.

Comment

It is true that urban use of pesticides is triple the amount of active ingredient per land unit than rural usage. In my opinion agriculture is not as big a culprit as it is made out to be.

Comment

Hey Mustard do you think there are any city folk willing to pay me some carbon credits so I can sit on my lawn chair and drink beer among my tall grass? Funny part is there likely is.

Comment

Could also keep the magnum close by in case that trophy walks by. Of course I would not drink and hunt at the same time.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...