• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harvest

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are farmers this year that will lose money growing board crops not because the market isn't there. But because thanks to directors like agstar the board is preventing those farmers from getting to that market.

And your ticked because he's getting a little razed about it?

It's time to grow up cotton, get some perspective and maybe try a little decafe now and then.

Comment

And no I'm not here because someone is paying me, right now it's a labour of love.

But that's not a bad idea if anyone is looking to sponsor Fransisco's agri-ville time I'm all ears.

Comment

So this is why this site is called Angriville. Even the most innocent question is twisted to suit someone's agenda.

Comment

Oh yeah, like you single desk directors have no 'agenda'.

Please!

Comment

You know, sometimes a topic can just be a topic and not another new category to rehash the same old political ideologies - left or right. It appeared to me that Agstar had initiated an interesting subject that would have interest for any and all readers but once again the discussion denigrated into philosophical positions. Too bad.

I don't share Agstar's point of view but I respect that he has one. More to the point I am learning more about and witnessing the core of the problem in Canadian agriculture as I read these various threads on Agri-ville/Angri-ville. (Clever).

We Canadians just like to argue with each other. In other countries they shot each other and blow up innocent people to express their differing points of view so our disputes are safer at least but what time we are wasting in combating ourselves when the real opposition is anyone who competes for end users of our agricultural production surpluses.

I've copied a piece from the new CEO of the George Morris Centre, Jim Oehmke who has replaced Dr. Larry Martin after 17 years as CEO. Jim also observes the huge opportunity before us. I'm not sure I agree with everything he says but it's his opinion.

Ladies and gentlemen, the enemy is not someone posting their views on this bulletin board. They are "out there" and we need to steer this ship in the same direction if we are going to survive and thrive. Jim Oehmke thinks we have a pretty good natural advantage.

Canadian Agriculture Needs to Aim Higher

By Jim Oehmke

Commentary
            Jim Oehmke is an economist and, until recently, a professor in the Department of Economics at Michigan State University. The website of the George Morris Centre is www.georgemorris.org

As a new Canadian resident, I can’t help but be struck by the amazing agricultural resources of this country.

A rich land base, vast stores of energy and water, and also tremendous human resources, both on the farm and in the agri-products processing sector. And unlike my native U.S., this country isn’t as fixated on profit, and takes its environmental and social responsibilities more seriously.

Given these resources, I think Canada could be a model for the world, showing that environmental and social stewardship can co-exist with efficiency, profitability and inventiveness. But, so far, Canada has not lived up to that potential.

In fact, when you look at Canada on the world stage, you wonder if Canadians realize what they’re capable of. Rather than worry about tariffs and quota allotments, we need to look at the big picture.

In the big picture, global food production has led to massive environmental degradation. Canada has great expertise in environmentally sustainable agricultural practices. We need to build and leverage that strength.

In the big picture, a global shortage of clean water has massive implications for food safety. We have the ability to efficiently produce large amounts of safe, uncontaminated food. That is a foundation that should be built on.

In the big picture, our vast supplies of both renewable and non-renewable energy combined with our expertise in food and agri-product processing give us an advantage few countries can match. We should build on that, too.

But so much of our potential is unrealized. We need policies that anticipate the future and set new challenges for ourselves. Our focus shouldn’t be on just preserving farms and the agricultural processing industry as they have been, but on developing them to their full potential.

The world is looking for a leader that can take pieces of the puzzle – the environment, food safety, enterprise and innovation, and social responsibility – and put them together to create a new model in global agriculture.

If it has the vision and the will, Canada could be that leader.

For CBC commentary, I’m Jim Oehmke, CEO of the George Morris Centre in Guelph, Ont.

Unquote

Let's look for some common ground and build on that.

Comment

Agstar77,

You had a great deal to the negative reaction... your initial post about the "Rumored" $10 Canola @ 32bu/ac... left out the CWB PRO or price expectations for the CWRS wheat @ 40bu/ac. At 1t/ac, the CWB PRO @ 240/ac at port position is nothing less than a bone shattering comentary on the $50/ac deficit caused by a marketer that refuses to extract the true costs of growing CWRS wheat fro the world market place.

Anyone not recoginsing the $190/ac return... while you expect almost double from your nonboard crop... would have truly missed the cleaverness of your post.

CP... you do yourself a BIG disfavour in posting profanity... Even though you and Agstar77 think it is "CUTE" use this kind of language to brow beat your opposition into submission... it is typical of people who have a weak point to make in the first instance.

The reaction was really quite predictable & logical... you expect Canola to pay the bills on your farm, yet the wheat you yourself market at through the CWB won't come close to breaking even at your farm gate according to your own admissions.

The CWB even removed the AB/SK/MB CWB system costs to get our "Designated area" wheat and barley to port position because this information is now offensive and again points to another failure of the "Single Desk" to extract value for its real client.

I am afraid your complaints are shallow, you will reap what you sow... and Agstar77 sowed plenty of offence... he is simply recieving back a small portion of the harvest he should be expecting in return!!!

Comment

Padron ,you are right we need a vision for agriculture. But as long as we keep sniping at one another nothing will happen. The 10 $ reference was only meant to be an expression of frustration at the level of all ag prices and the general lack of concern by this government and previous ones.

Comment

Great pars care to tell us who these silent but present dudes are.

Maybe a contest?

What will be the top performing investment vehicles for the next year?Or what ever peramators you want.

Or are you just making stuff up as you go again.

I was wondering when you would show up tom.Four horsmen work better than three when distorting reality.

Comment

And there we have agstar's vision in a nutshell. Government, government, government. Central planning, command and control, coercion.

Thank's, but no thanks we've got too much of that already.

Comment

Anyone can lock in $9.00 plus for canola, a record high price, but for agstar the market is not offering him enough, he needs a handout.

With board grains its seemingly the opposite, we're a buck a bushel behind the rest of the world, it's there for the taking, but no, the wheat board government control vision is more important than farmer returns or self sufficiency. And we keep getting fed the same line of BS about what a wonderful job they are doing getting us 'premiums'.

Agstar is one of the guys responsible for this 'vision-situation' but according to his handmaiden's, like foul-mouthed cotton, we are supposed to simply ignore that little fact of reality.

Well that's obviously not happening now is it? Why? Because agstar the farmer is also agstar the CWB director they are not two separate people they are one and the same.

Comment

on and off showers and at times heavy rain up in the peace.....some canola swathed and some cereAls pre harvested.....but otherwise the cool wet weatehr is delaying maturity and the conclusion of the forage grass harvesting which is not yet done....very little winter wheat off, though very small acres in our part of the world

on the topic of marketing, the concern in this area is not the break even price of canola, we make money at $9.00 and even with high costs of production these price levels are a good place to start markeing with an average crop ahead of us to harvest, weather willing.......same with oats and peas.....

what is suprising is talking to the more recent and long term cwb supporters who now say to hell with them...they are awfull choked about the void contracts for $3.70 feed barley....they were all over us to buy it, we signed it, and some liberal appointed judge and are so called freinds helped kill it...i suspect the trade will still fill the contracts with the end users, with the support of the board with whatever fees are attached to get it the hell out of the country, AND THE FARMER WILL TAKE 50 TO 75 CENTS LESS AT THE PIT FOR IT.....GO AHEAD AND HAVE A PLEBICITE NOW.......THE SINLGE DESKS WILL BE DEAD SOON....AND CP WHAT ARE YOU THINKING WITH THE EXPLETIVES AND THEN IN TURN BOASTS, ....YOU INSECURITY SPEAKS VOLUME ABOUT YOUR MATURITY...

have a good day all and good luck with harvest

Comment

CP, with your brilliance in the market, I'm wondering if you can tell me when the markets will tip over again. Markets always cycle, and I'm hoping you can tell me when pricing should be finished. It's one thing to call markets higher for years and take credit when the global crop fails and the upward cycle starts, but I really need to know when the good times will be over.

Comment

North,scroll up and read the posts besides mine.I have no right to defend myself?

Insecurity?

Do Insecure people stand up to the rabid pack of muts that turn any and all conversations back to the cwb dead horse?

Do Insecure people throw out marketing challenges?

Comment

Great political response. Avoid the question by redirecting.

I was hoping for more confidence with your market forecast.

Comment

blah blah blah...speaking of rabid packs, sounds like you belong in one.....

harvest is about taking the crop off and selling it.....any discussion about selling it and making money inevitably revolves around our freedom to market and in turn takes us right back to the CWB debate.....the barley decision being the most recent and relevant.....

the guy who started this thread comingled actual harvest results with marketing and pricing information including fert costs which when he confirms his pricing he will the the price of N is up way up form the pre buy last fall....

i am not saying you cannot defend yourself, knock yourself out, but calling three posters F*&^%$% losers, that is truly an intelligent offering and opens it up for enlightened discussion....

have a good day!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.