• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ABP elections

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABP elections

Thought I would bring this invitation from numbercaller up on to it's own post for some discussion. Do you really call the numbers at the local BINGO hall numbercaller? Or are you simply a gambler like the rest of us Alberta Cattle Producers.

"As unpopular as this post may be.... here goes nominations for ABP elections close on August 30. Whether we like it or not they seem to have the Gov,t of Alberta's ear on some issues. Besides you might be surprised at how many people are starting to think out loud compared to 3 or 4 years ago. I hate channels as bad as anyone but if your not at the table you can't contribute , or affect change. How about some help?"

Alberta Cattle Producers - Name is rather catchy I say. In fact, I think that when the ABP changed the name to Alberta Beef Producers from Alberta Cattle Commission, everyone thought that they magically became beef producers over night. The truth is that most all of us are cattle producers. The Beef Producer thing came about when someone decided that three separate industries competing for a little bit of profit from one steer (heifer or cull cow) should join hands in harmony. Whatever.

Well numbercaller - I have decided to throw this name of mine in that proverbial hat again. Tried once before, but my message must have been a bit harsh for my packer fearing neighbors down in feedlot country. My thoughts started to become action the more old grassfarmer talked about apathy more than anything. You are right about ABP being the voice in government - although it has wavered a bit as of late with our newest Ag minister here in Alberta.

Therefor - almost any other group including BIG C, WSGA, and even the NFU might as well be considered apathetic. A voice in the darkness is almost as strong as no voice at all.

We all see how the so called democratic process of ABP works. A very small few come out and actually pass resolutions that go on to be defeated at the AGM's. If I am to listen to anyone tell me about following the democratic rule once I become a delegate, I will simply chuckle and move on. This process will not be about showing me the truth or showing me that I may be wrong - it will be about opposition within the system - period. Opposition to a group (ABP/CCA) that cannot truly say that one issue they support is challenged by those who use us to profit and gain further control. Cargill and Tyson Love ABP/CCA in it's current form.

I told my area Zone rep that I would not be much of a team player once the few folks that turn up at the fall meetings vote me in. I simply do not agree with much of the ABP/CCA direction if any. I will not sit in any ABP booths promoting beef for Cargill and Tyson while I compete with them at my own booth selling true Alberta Beef across the trade show floor. Anyone up to an idea where packers actually pay a share of the promotion costs at Beef Information Center? What a novel idea - helping pay for your own bloody advertising.

I will not sit back and watch as every decision ABP makes gets applause from the Cargill and Tyson reps without making a stink. If the trickle down illusion was not evident three or four years ago, you have to be completely blind to ignore the illusion today.

Even though I will say once again that I admire the business strategy of Cargill and Tyson and even Nillsen Bros., I will only give them the respect that I would give any adversary in any other situation where I am fighting for my fair share or my neighbors fair share of anything.

Can't keep my mouth shut Mr. Wilson -sorry - maybe you want to run in the SSGA elections - we could finally meet on the battlefield. (wink)

Thats the spirit, and I beleive that it is the only way to change the organization is from within. you may be suprised at the support that you might garner. Remember you might catch more flies with sugar than with vinegar. Look forward to having you on board. I am most definately a gambler, and a beleiver in change. Our system is a slow cumbersome ship but we have to keep throwing our ideas out to the public and even smile when they get thrown back at us but we have to keep throwing. See you at the bingo hall.

Comment

You can quit dragging my name into everyone of your rants-go for it sunshine wish you all the best.

Comment

Lets get some more folks on the list...if you want to initiate change ....you have to be a part of the change. It is very easy to stand on the outside and grimace at what is being done but until you've seen the other side and given it a shot yourself you're missing a chapter of the book. Many of these organizations spend more time than you can imagine policing and preventing our governments from jumping into mind boggling market distorting prorams that could have serious trade implications, than you can shake a stick at. Now I'm not saying that they do everything right but they just need more good folks to light the path. Stand up and be counted. I often hear how disappointed people are at the turnouts for the producer meetings.... well me too,....get off your parade ponies and promote people to attend and be a part of the process... the forum exists ...right or wrong... lets have some more rkaisers' out there that are willing to stand up and be heard.
        Thanks and have a great day

Comment

I'll attend meetings, but don't think that I have the time to put my name in just yet. I have a fairly full plate right now, although I would love to step into the thick of things and see the industry from the other side of the microphones. I just hope there some well qualified people putting their names up to run in our zone.

Comment

I'm pleased to see someone come along and extol the advantages of a bigger turnout at producer meetings - that certainly is the way to change things. I wish rkaiser well in his efforts to become elected, rest assured we will make a real effort to get a turnout to support you.
            I will not be seeking election as I feel my time will be better spent on other ventures.

I was at an environmental type meeting recently where a lady made an interesting comment about the Stelmach Government. She was pleased to see their apparent enthusiasm for going to the citizens of the province and asking for their input on so many things. It seems a break from the arrogance of the Klein era where the citizens opinions didn't seem to matter. This move by Stelmach has led to many of the citizen action groups being very busy, scuttling about like busy hamsters in fact, with a renewed feeling of being important and being listened to. However this enthusiasm fails when they realise there seems to be a glass ceiling somewhere above our heads and below the ministers feet. It is clear that despite all this new found enthusiasm for consultation the Government is not,and will not be swayed by the results of their consultations. Sorry to say it is business as usual - same old, same old policies.
            I rather fear that the ABP will be the same.

Comment

I guess that the thing I see is a void in the glass window about ABP grassfarmer. They have the ministers ear and will for a good time to come.

Had my first taste last night and found a place to be non confrontational yet vocal.
              It is obvious that ABP has become a bureaucratic haven and how could it not with all of the dollars floating around. Everyone has an important agenda and believe me - there are a lot of agendas.

Simplicity and big picture will be my focus as most of the big picture issues that ABP has supposedly reached through the democratic process are almost the opposite of what I hear from neighbors and friends.

An obvious "industry" as in cowcalf working with feeder working with packer, approach which I personally cannot deal with. No problem having everyone at the table, but similar to the new CCA structure - Alberta Cattle Commission --- whoops I mean Alberta Beef Producers need to realise that the trickle down is an illusion and the packers and feeders could simply have their own organisation to try to reap profit from that one steer - just like we will have at the new ABP. Just ask Rick Pascal and the brand spankin new National Cattle Feeders association. His said in his interview that the ABP is run by cow calf folk. Well Rick you are going to be right, but it may take a little time.

Comment

Stop collecting a checkoff on cattle at slaughter Randy and I'm sure that most cattle feeders would happily go their own way. The National Cattlefeeders Asssociation was formed as a direct result of the problems that you have identified that exist within our provincial and national cattle organizations. By the way there is no mandatory check off funding the Alberta or National Cattlefeeders Associations, only voluntary membership dues.

Comment

Of course the checkoff would have to be dealt with BFW. Do I sound like the kind of fellow who would take your money for nothing.

Suggest a way to divide it up or maybe it should be abandoned all together. Looks like the projections are down by over twenty percent on marketing's. I think that may even be optimistic. Might not hurt so bad to give up the other 70 or 75% and get back down to square on again.

If the National Cattle Feeders can operate without a checkoff, why not the Alberta Cattle Commission?

Comment

Don't think for one minute that at some point the National Cattle Feeders, won't be going after check-off dollars. Remember 2003 and 2004 thew squeaky wheel got the grease. Feeders will never be happy in the present political forum becuase their cows don't vote, and thats what they really want. The system thats here will work but it won'nt if all that ever happens is schoolyard whining about what kind of sandwich I got. Cattle Feeder Council within A.B.P. has budget to go ahead with research projects that the feeders have been crying for since that wonderfully cost effective competitivness study came out. That was an informative waste of check-off dollars...... the dollar is too high and labor is too high,and there isn't enough competition for our product!!!(who'd a thunk it!!) Every sector has to have a dollar in it or why are we doing it. Maybe our leadership has a different agenda , but the only way you change it is to get involved, so far I hear a lot of rhetoric, and only one guy with the courage to step up. As far as time being better spent.... do as you see fit, but at least try to be apart of the process, at least at the fall meetings if nothing else to at least let the people in the organization know what you think, and if you wait until the time is right, thats like waiting to get enough money before you have kids...you'll never do it. Come on..... people with good ideas have tried to affect change from the outside and as yet they have been beat down as percieved threats rightly or wrongly. Change will come if enough like minded people will assemble. This is your livelyhood and if you don't stand for something you don't stand for anything. Have a great day

Comment

Numbercaller, maybe you should stick to trying to motivate people to come to the meetings? I find your writings rather hypocritical - fair enough telling people to work together and quit "schoolyard whining" but why then spend the rest of your post slagging off the feedlot operators?

Personally I'd be quite happy with BFW's idea of dropping the levy collection totally and then we can all have genuine representatives for our "industry" (or sectors of the "industry")appointed and funded as producers see fit. True free- enterprise and "marketing choice" - no, I guess that would never work in Alberta.

Comment

Actually, I'm not advocating that we split the checkoff up (although my first response to that idea would be in favor of it) but I do think that that option needs to be put on the table. Face it, no one is happy with where our businesses are headed no matter what sector of the cattle industry you are in. I think that the longer we hang our hats on the "democratic process" that many at ABP hide behind the less chance we have of meeting any of the challenges that come at us. The last thing we need is more "likeminded people" in the room as that strategy is failing miserably. We need new ideas and people that can focus on creating strategies that will move our BUSINESSES for now and in the future. Consider this, "Democracy ensures that you will be governed by no better than you deserve." (George Bernard Shaw)

Comment

Thats exactly what I"m getting at ...if thats what you believe, stand up and promote it instead of being the smartest guy on the thread. I'm not saying that I have all of the answers but I have gotten involved enough to at least be informed. If you feel that studies like I mentioned before are beneficial then promote it. If I am hypocritical its because of hearing all of the great ideas that no-one wants to bring to the table. Too many times all we have to do is look in the mirror to see the root of our problems. If I struck a nerve I apologize.. but at least we are having a dialog ...and given enough time we would find some common ground.

Comment

Great quote..... not everyone at ABP is a beleiver in their democratic process....trust me. Here is another quote that you might enjoy that I find very appropriate " What's troubling is the gap between the magnitude of our chalenges and the smallness of our politics- the ease with which we are distracted by the petty and trivial, our chronic avoidance of tough decisions, our seeming inability to build a working consensus to tackle any big problem" ( B. Obama)

Comment

numbercaller, I moved a resolution at my local fall producer meeting last year that a plebiscite be held to determine whether the majority of producers were in favour of the ABP continuing to be the sole levy funded producer representative group in the province - it was defeated.
                              I wrote a letter proposing much the same which was published in the Cattleman magazine - the Alberta Beef Magazine absolutely refused to publish it. Some of us are trying, and have been trying - what will be any different this time around?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.