• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ABP elections

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes you did . First off I have'nt a clue what the Alberta Beef Magazine and Alberta Beef Producers have in common. Lets take it back further and talk about other things pertaining to plebiscite issues. There is also a resolution on the books and it is renewed every year that ABP update their mailing list. Herein lies the problem with any plebiscite issue, they can't get to the people they represent because their mailling list is antiquated. I have personally been beating on this horse for 3 years and I'm just about to see results. The easy way to get a proper mailing list is to go to LIS and get the mailing info off of the manifest...but no the governments FOIP regulations say you can't do anything simple like that, in order to do that the Ag Products marketing plan has to be changed.... all of which cannot be done at the blink of an eye. I'm sorry your resolution did not pass but like all resolutions you have to garner support for yours or anyones ideas taht starts in your own zone at the producer meetings. I know that ABP isn't the answer ,or the be all to everyone but get involved to make change. I hear far too many producers say I can,t make a difference I'm sorry I think you can. Obviously the sitting delegates in your zone did not sell the idea or principle very well beacause there was little or no disscussion on your resolution at the AGM.Elaborate what organization you would like to see get check off dollars and maybe some one would come to your aid. Maybe nothing changes but if anybody stands on the sidelines and throws rocks they are most certainly not helping to create a situation that is condusive to change. Smile it's catchy.

Comment

The Alberta Beef magazines editorial policy was to highlight the problem we face in Alberta - a real problem of democracy where the media can only print what the people "in control" say they are allowed to print. This is how dictatorships operate - most Albertans seem asleep at the wheel at this affront to democracy going on in their back yard.

Personally I think the mailing list is a bogus issue. It is raised every year and is something the ABP folks can re-assure us will be dealt with. I think it's thrown in there as a distraction - it certainly reduces the time left for serious issues. I would be confident enough running a plebiscite with the mailing list they have - sure, it's inaccurate and that is a disgraceful in itself but there are bigger issues.

My resolution did not pass at the producer meeting so it did not appear at the AGM. To highlight the hopelessness of the situation at ABP it was not passed because only about 8 people voted in favour of it - there were more ABP directors/delegates and hangers on than that at the meeting so the majority prevailed. Had it passed there where would it go next? would it make it to the shortlist at the AGM? - probably not as it is counter to their agenda and they get to pick what appears at the AGM remember. If it did it would not have had a cat in hell's chance of passing - what chance has a resolution passed in one zone got of being adopted? virtually none. So does that mean we have a perfect democratic system where the majority rules?
      I think it means we have no way to be heard, the system is run from the top down and not from the bottom up as it should be. The system is rotten to the core and I would like to see it abolished. Scrap the levy, don't allocate it to any other organisation - let the free market for representation prevail - I don't think this would hurt producers. As it stands now what option do we have but to stand on the sidelines and throw rocks?

Comment

Very well sir, I can see that you're not about to get involved..... and that is your perogative... so is complaining. Your Alberta Beef comment is way off base as McClintok publishes whatever he pleases.... and so he should... he runs the mag. I hope you get your wish to get another check off funded representative body to further muddy the water when dealing with gov't... as if it isn't bad enough as it is. Have a great evening.

Comment

More precisely Alberta Beef magazine prints what is bought and paid for - they prostituted their journalistic integrity for the almighty dollar. This was brought to my attention on Agriville by some of Cam's supporters who only got articles published by paying for them.

You should polish up on your reading skills I have twice stated clearly that it was not my wish "to get another check off funded representative body"

You think I'm not getting involved? - wrong again, but more to the point what are you doing to get involved?

Comment

Wow - it looks like it may just be a history making year to be part of at good old ABP. I can't wait. Never been in the middle of an implosion before.

Who do you think should make the motion to share or cut off the checkoff BFW - a cow calf guy or a National Cattle Feeder guy. Either way - it may have a good chance of making it past the fall zone meetings.

Comment

Board of Directors for three years ....bucking the status quo ... and you sir?

Comment

Are you looking for an introduction numbercaller?

Randy Kaiser Ponoka Alberta
                http://www.westernrancher.com/CelticCattle.html

-BIG C co-founder

-President - Canadian Galloway Association

-Vice President - Canadian Welsh Black Association

-President - Celtic Beef Alliance - a new direct marketing beef company.

And you Sir - Maam?

Comment

Randy who stood beside you when Big C started. You of all people know that I do not hunger for the limelight, I get to be at the front all I want as often as i need. And you need no introduction... and happen to be one of the people that I will listen to at any time, contrary to what some folks may think or tell you. Talk to you when you've figured it out

Comment

This is a very interesting thread and reads very much like this board on the topic about three years ago.

Some of the comments are very thought provoking and cause me, for one, to ask how has the ABP (which I support through the check-off) benefited me financially? ..and you know, nothing comes to mind. I could be wrong and shortsighted, and would appreciate it if someone could point out my ignorance.
                    I know ABP delegates have a lot of meetings to attend and meet with various government departments to discuss agricultural policy. I read about this in the various agricultural papers and magazines, including the Alberta Beef Magazine. As a little exercise, just go the ABP web sight and see how current their information is about our industry. If it wasn’t for the various other farm publications, we all would be very ill informed about the goings-on in the cattle business. If I had a choice of where a good portion of my check off dollars went, it would be to the Alberta Beef Magazine. Maybe they could be the official voice of the cattle industry in Alberta.

I too was one who financially supported the article about Cam’s concerns about our industry and at the time was very disappointed to find that money was the key factor in having them published. I for one cancelled my subscription to the magazine as a result. Cam is very concerned about the direction we are headed and his dedication to relaying his message of concern to as many producers who would listen to him is exemplary. I know he has contributed hundreds of hours and funds of his own to try and make our endeavors more profitable. Many of the points that Cam made and tried to make to others are coming true today.

Every Cow Calf Producer has cows to sell at some time through the year; maybe the BIC is doing something for me after all. I have never heard more comments on the beef available in the stores that is so inconsistent in the quality and taste than this year. Our cow beef has found a home. It can’t go across the line, so it has to be in a store near you. Maybe the Beef Information Centre sold it for us.

Comment

I wish I could stand up and say that ABP is putting money in your pocket, but I cannot. I will say that on some occasions that they most likely prevent government from taking more money out of your pocket, by implementing some policies that could be detremental and distorting.(gov't that is)
                      Pertaining to the website, you most certainly have a point, it is not easy to navigate, and does'nt contain enough information on any given subject to quench even a small thirst for knowledge. Here's the good news, as we speak there is a committe, working with a techy company to revamp and overhaul the website , so as to be more practical, and informative.
                      As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the lack of a comprhensive mailing list really seriously hampers communication with producers.That also is very close to happening and should go a long ways to revitalizing communication to stakeholders.
                      Is it a perfect organization ?.... No but like it or not we all put money in, and I for one would like to try and get my moneys worth. Change does'nt happen overnight, and it starts with little things and moves on to bigger things.
                      Maybe involvement isn't for everyone..... but it beats the alternative of being negative and feeling hopeless.
                      I too was, and still am very disgruntled at times with what goes on with industry leadership and government. I thought I was being shut out in the information department. But as I got involved I found out that had I talked to some Delegates and Directors the information I wanted was at hand, now having said that, being involved makes it much easier to get more and better information. but again thats not the way it should be... but I feel that help is on its way in the communication department.
                      I choose to be involved and try and make things better if possible, in some eyes I'm wating time......but I don't think so.

Comment

gwfl, Could you explain your comment "If I had a choice of where a good portion of my check off dollars went, it would be to the Alberta Beef Magazine. Maybe they could be the official voice of the cattle industry in Alberta." it makes no sense to me especially when you later say you(like me)have cancelled your subscription to the magazine.
                        I echo your sentiments on Cam's contribution and am disgusted that ABP expended so much time opposing his efforts.

numbercaller, Perhaps you could enlighten us on whether the ABP is lobbying the Alberta Government to pay producers to age verify calves. I asked this question in another thread and never got an answer.

Comment

I don't understand this problem with a mailing list. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the Manitoba Cattle Producers Assoc. uses names and addresses from the checkoff as their membership and mailing list. Does the ABP not have access to who is paying the checkoff? I would think that if you pay a checkoff you are a member.

Comment

ABP is not lobbying the gov't to age verify. The gov't wants to make AV mandatory, or attempt to. Gov't wants to pay producers for two years to get more of a critical mass of AV calves. Abp is saying to Gov't if you want to pay for two years... fine .... but not mandatory.

Comment

Kato you're probably right in the case of MCPA. ABP, when it was hatched had markets,dealers,and plants collect check of dollars.... in all of the founding fathers wisdom there was nothing required by the collectors to remit mailing info to ABP.(Brilliant eh). Now many years latter FOIP has taken hold and this type of info cannot be shared without a whole lot of political wrangling. One could approach some markets , and dealers and most likely get the info... but others will not even entertain the idea of giving up the info. Hope that helps explain a bit.

Comment

The only reason to Age Verify calves is for export to Asia - are we doing that? I don't think so. Its another "Red Herring".

ABP need to move out of their Ivory Tower (oak, brass, & glass) and into some up staires back rooms of some auction mart, they they might get back to reality.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.