• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Midge and Sawfly Damage in Wheat?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Midge and Sawfly Damage in Wheat?

Has anyone combined any wheat?

Mine is at least 2 weeks away. Had like 2 or 3 midge per head at one time.

Comment

I swathed a field of wheat due to severe sawfly damage. Looks like lots of shrunken, shriveled kernels.

Comment

Sawfly, Sawfly, #!@##! Sawfly. This is my second year of growing HRS Wheat after years of only Durum. I think this will be my last. I've only seeded Lillian and Abbey but it still goes down. So much for solid stemmed sawfly resistance.

Comment

Our Lillian HRS, located in east-central Alberta, has gone down some this year, too, but nothing removely close to the non-solid-stem varieties across the fence. The neighbors are going to have to cut with a Gillette to get the conventional varieties. Our Lillian will still need relatively close cutting but at least we'll get it. Seems the beards on Lillian help hold it up. Yes, Lillina isn't perfect, but it's much, much better than the alternatives including Abby.

Comment

Where did you get the Lillian with beards? Never heard of it. All the Lillian I've bought from our Secan dealer is beardless.

Comment

Concerning Lillian vs. Abbey. I've grown both side by side the last two years trying to see if there is much difference between them.
              I have found Lillian always has at least 2 more rows of kernels in the head. It lodges much more readily, it has no Awns, and has 0.5% higher protein.

Both Abbey and Lillian fall over equally under heavy Sawfly pressure. They have roughly the same maturity, and they grow to the same height.
              Abbey does not get as heavily damaged by hail when it is headed-out(the Awns protect the head)

As for yield I can only guess since the fields were hailed out both years, but when I harvested what was left there was more Abbey because of the afore mentioned Awns.

Comment

Even the CWSWS wheat Andrew here is lodging bad, neighbours beardless lilian also falling much less but still falling. Perhaps there is a crop there but at the moment I am thinking there will be next to no Wheat grown here next year. Perhaps we should have been much more bullish on the wheat price.

Comment

Yup, I messed up. We have two kinds of solid-stemmed wheat seeded this year. Mostly Lillian which is not bearded and the last field of Abbey, which is. Sorry Agri-villians.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...