• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Ram for Ewe Lambs

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Ram for Ewe Lambs

Greetings fellow shepherds. Been busy with lambing the past few weeks. This was our first real lambing season with new ewes, lots of twins, and even some triples. Last year we bought our first 5 experiences ewes and managed to get them lambed out successfully with the operators manual in our hand almost all the time. We were successful with the flushing, gestations and lambing of all the additional ones that we bought, plus the ewe lambs of our first crop last year.

Our only concern is of course lamb size in our "1st timers". Of the 6 ewe lambs that we had, we had 5 sets of twins. Rather exciting, but some of the ram lambs were a little on the tight side. Our ewe lambs were various crosses of Suffolk, Hamp and Dorset, plus a couple of PB Dorset. The sire of the new lambs was a Dorset. Lamb sizes of the whole herd were in the 4.5 to 5kg, with the largest single lamb being 6kg. Next year we are looking for smaller lambs in our replacement females and was wondering which breed we should be looking for. We are really happy with the Dorset ram that we have for the experienced females, just want something a little "safer" for our "1st timers".

We have our own idea of breed, but would really value your opinions.

Thank you in advance

Hi there : Just reading your note on lambing first time lambs . We lambed close to 300 ewes here for a number of years .The best thing we ever did is breed first time lambs to a Scottish blackface . These are hard to find now days . The second choice would be a cheviot. Both breeds are small boned and lambs are quick to there feet .The real value in breeding lambs is not the lamb itself but the experience that they gain as mothers . So what ever breed you choose look for a small head. There just is not room for the head and big legs on most first time lambers .Good luck

Comment

Congratulations on your success! We have lambed first timers for the last two years now. Small is good. We use a Dorper ram with great success. Our most recent (few days ago) threw twin lambs, one ram, one ewe. Both healthy and vigorous about 5-6lbs a piece. She needed no help and is a great mom. The lambs are both growing with decent weight gain.

Another advantage is that Dorpers are hair sheep and shed out. If this is something that you want to consider, it sure reduces the cost of shearing.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Comment

Thank you fellow shepherds. We have considered the Dorpers, however are a little puzzled as to why backers, even on the rail price. With a small flock though we are considering just trying to farmgate our lamb though local processors. The BlackFace is one that we will be looking into more. Thank you for reminding us about the Cheviots. Any thoughts about the Clun Forest?

Our last lamb is only days away or sooner. The young Cheviot / Suffolk (looks like a Cheviot) had a squirtful of milk when we check her yesterday. Hopefully we have a nice little single that will keep her busy!

Thanks again

Comment

You've hit on part of your own solution, lilac-hill. You need to focus on what it is you want to do and where you want to go in order to determine what you are going to need to do.

We direct market our lamb and have done so successfully for almost 10 years now. We raise Barbados Black Belly Hair Sheep - the mothers are terrific, lambs are the size we want them, there are next to no birthing problems and most of all - they are low maintenance.

Part of choosing a breed is your end goal or goals. If you want to be in the commercial end of things, then you need fast growing lambs that do well in a feedlot type situation, hence the majority of Suffolk/Dorset crosses out there. Hair sheep are generally not accepted into a feedlot as they tend to be less aggressive than the aforementioned breeds and you are discounted for them - as a rule.

Could you explain a little more about your decision for not going with Dorpers - I'm not sure I quite understood what you meant.

I hope that your last ewe lambs easily and want to welcome you to the world of sheep. They are quite enjoyable.

Comment

Yes I read my note again and found I missed a few words. I know why the packers discount the hair sheep, as it is because there is not a pelt that anyone wants to pay for (SO I have been told). However, why do they discount the rail price? After all its only the meat thats left at that point. Has anyone considered trying to make a "shammie" type product out of a hair sheep hide? I have never actually seen the end result of a skinned hair sheep so I don't know if it could be tanned or not.

Still lots to learn....................

Comment

Yes, we've gotten several hides tanned over the years and they are great. We've gotten them done both with and without the winter coat. My husband uses them much as the wool sheepskins. We've never thought about the shammie type idea, but it bears consideration. I've also been asked about using the shedded coat for something, but I'm not quite sure what that would be - YET! There are many things that one could pursue I'm sure.

The only explanation that I could give for a discounted price on the rail weight is that they did not grade the way the packers want them too i.e. not enough fat cover, muscling on the legs etc.

For us, it is the lack of fat that our customers like and the fact that we grow them without any hormones etc and only use things like antibiotics whenever necessary and follow all withdrawal times etc. The packers that we have used have told us that the Barbados actually has above average ribeyes for its size and in comparison to the regular market type lamb.

I guess to be sure, you would need to speak with each individual processor to find out why they discount the hair sheep on the rail.

Comment

This is for jensco

What kind of birth weights do you normally expect for Dorpers? 5 and 6 pounds seems kind of tiny, but I think would sure make the ewe lambers happy. With our dorset/suffolk/hamp combinations, the smallest lamb has been about 8 lbs (with a bigger twin) Most all have been over 10.
                While we have been looking more into the Dorpers we found that they are out of season (always in season ?) breeders, much like Dorsets. Do you try for multiple lambings per year?

Once again to everyone THANK YOU!

Comment

I put a little Australian Suffolk in my flock. These sheep have more muscle and widder in the rear. Have had ewes that are one half Aussie lamb twins from 10 to 15 lbs and no assistance necssary. It depends on the genetics you have.

Comment

The smaller lambs are from the first-time ewe lambs. My dams are producing the 8lb twins. Yes, we can lamb right around the calendar. We have been running a natural flock (not separating the rams) and have lambed every five months for the last 3 years. This year we will give the ewes a break since the winter was so harsh. We have not been able to keep their body condition up like we want. Our lambs top out around 75 dressed pounds at about 7 or 8 months old. Not huge, but respectable and with no large quantities of supplement. A little grain once and awhile to keep them coming back to the barnyard.

We also direct farm market our lamb. Our customers also prefer the drug-free, free range, leaner lamb as well. We also market directly to the local grocery store as we can customize size based on their seasonal demand.

The Dorpers give us a relatively maintenace free flock with no shearing. We have not yet found a use for the wool or hair (actually a combo of both) and have not tanned any hides to date. On the list of things to do. Breeding stock is harder to come by here in Manitoba. I would like to acquire a few more registered animals. Currently, my girls are Americans and I really would like to not have to register in the States. So, my current quest is to get some Canadian Dorpers.

If you want (I do not get here as often as I would like), please email me directly jmickle@mb.sympatico.ca.

Regards, Jen.

Comment

The smaller lambs are from the first-time ewe lambs. My dams are producing the minimum 8lb each twins. Yes, we can lamb right around the calendar. We have been running a natural flock (not separating the rams) and have lambed every five months for the last 3 years. This year we will give the ewes a break since the winter was so harsh. We have not been able to keep their body condition up like we want. Our lambs top out around 75 dressed pounds at about 7 or 8 months old. Not huge, but respectable and with no large quantities of supplement. A little grain once and awhile to keep them coming back to the barnyard.

We also direct farm market our lamb. Our customers also prefer the drug-free, free range, leaner lamb as well. We also market directly to the local grocery store as we can customize size based on their seasonal demand.

The Dorpers give us a relatively maintenace free flock with no shearing. We have not yet found a use for the wool or hair (actually a combo of both) and have not tanned any hides to date. On the list of things to do. Breeding stock is harder to come by here in Manitoba. I would like to acquire a few more registered animals. Currently, my girls are Americans and I really would like to not have to register in the States. So, my current quest is to get some Canadian Dorpers.

If you want (I do not get here as often as I would like), please email me directly jmickle@mb.sympatico.ca.

Regards, Jen.

Comment

Sorry about the duplicate reply everyone! I tried to correct and forgot the newer system does not support things the same way!

Toodles, Jen.

Comment

Hi Folks

just a short update on the topic. We've chosen a Clun Forest. We are to pick the yearlling ram up in about 2 weeks. We were really impressed with the lambs that we saw at the farm. The Clun should compliment our Dorset cross ewe lambs real nicely.

Thank you so much for all the suggestions. Hope things straighten out in the markets.

Best of Luck
                          Brian

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...