• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

inbreeding

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

inbreeding

Does anyone know if you can use a half sibling ram without running into problems?

I have a Texel x Finn ram lamb that I would like to use on my Texel x Finn ewe lambs this year. The Texel part is unrelated. The ram was a triplet with all ram siblings so no full siblings in the ewes. I don't usually keep my own rams but this guy is really exceptional.

I have used my own rams back for years, no problem. The highest inbreeding has been 12%
    I wouldn't worry about it. If you get bad lambs, deformed lambs than you need a new ram strain.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. How do you calculate that percentage? I am breeding the ram to his own half siblings so would that be 50%?

Comment

Smitty, I use a program called Ewebyte that does it for me. Great program

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...
        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.